cat-users - Re: [[cat-users]] CAT \ Google Play domains

Re: [[cat-users]] CAT \ Google Play domains

  • From: Stefan Winter <stefan.winter AT restena.lu>
  • To: Gerrard Shaw <GShaw AT havering-college.ac.uk>, Alan Buxey <alan.buxey AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: "cat-users AT lists.geant.org" <cat-users AT lists.geant.org>
  • Subject: Re: [[cat-users]] CAT \ Google Play domains
  • Date: Fri, 4 May 2018 13:23:10 +0200

Hello,

> Realistically it’s only going to be UK institutions coming in and I
> suspect most if not all of those are using the standard CAT site (please
> correct me if I’m wrong on that assumption).

Over a decade of stats tells us that you approx. 7% of your roaming
visitors will be international ones.

Most of those will come with their devices pre-configured at home. Only
those who did not do that will stumble into the walled garden. If we
assume 5% that makes 0.35% of total roaming visitors using your captive
system.

Germany is the only NRO who deploy their own CAT instance. The fraction
of German users on your university various on the research and exchange
profiles you have with Germany, so it's impossible to predict exact
numbers. In terms of orders of magnitute, maybe one in every ten
thousand roaming visitors at your campus will have problems.

If you have 10.000 roaming users per day, that's one every day. But
maybe you have less than that :-)

> I agree that the amount of Google allow rules isn’t ideal but given we
> keep the connection completely isolated from anything of importance may
> be a compromise we need to make to ensure the onboarding is as smooth as
> possible. It’s a shame Android don’t support the profiles in a neater
> way but that’s the joy of multiple platforms I guess!

Our world would be a lot less complex without Android :-)

Stefan

--
Stefan WINTER
Ingenieur de Recherche