cat-users - RE: [[cat-users]] CAT \ Google Play domains

RE: [[cat-users]] CAT \ Google Play domains

  • From: Gerrard Shaw <GShaw AT havering-college.ac.uk>
  • To: Alan Buxey <alan.buxey AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: "cat-users AT lists.geant.org" <cat-users AT lists.geant.org>
  • Subject: RE: [[cat-users]] CAT \ Google Play domains
  • Date: Fri, 4 May 2018 10:48:38 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-GB, en-US
  • Spamdiagnosticmetadata: NSPM
  • Spamdiagnosticoutput: 1:99

Hi Alan,

Would be for Home and Visited users in theory – the Walled Garden would be going outbound via a separate Internet connection that has no access to the rest of the network.

If we hosted the CAT app’s apk file locally wouldn’t we get a different problem that users would have to allow sideloading by reducing their Play Store security?

Realistically it’s only going to be UK institutions coming in and I suspect most if not all of those are using the standard CAT site (please correct me if I’m wrong on that assumption).

I agree that the amount of Google allow rules isn’t ideal but given we keep the connection completely isolated from anything of importance may be a compromise we need to make to ensure the onboarding is as smooth as possible. It’s a shame Android don’t support the profiles in a neater way but that’s the joy of multiple platforms I guess!

Regards,

Gerrard