cat-users - Re: [[cat-users]] eduroam CAT - Profile search at Samsung devices

Re: [[cat-users]] eduroam CAT - Profile search at Samsung devices

  • From: Stefan Winter <stefan.winter AT restena.lu>
  • To: Georgios Ioannou <g.ioannou AT ihu.edu.gr>, "cat-users AT lists.geant.org" <cat-users AT lists.geant.org>
  • Subject: Re: [[cat-users]] eduroam CAT - Profile search at Samsung devices
  • Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2017 08:08:50 +0100

Hello,

TL;DR:

after a while of debugging, we found the root cause of the issue and
have fixed it. Search results should now be deterministic and complete
again. It was an SQL problem.

Long version:

The root cause was not in the Android app. Instead, the API call which
generated the result list was at one point using an SQL language
construct with an upper limit of the returned data size (GROUP_CONCAT).

As CAT grew with more IdPs and profiles, at some point we hit the
ceiling and there was a premature end of the data in the returned data
set that is sent to the app, with some subsequent collateral parsing
problems in the app.

Since SQL result ordering is not guaranteed to be deterministic, some
search results occasionally made the cut but occasionally not.

The fix is not to use GROUP_CONCAT any more, and use other SQL language
constructs without such upper limits. This is now live on
cat.eduroam.org as a hotfix. A later update to the eduroam CAT Android
app will also harden the app on the receiving side against this error.

We apologize for the inconvenience caused!

--
Stefan WINTER
Ingenieur de Recherche

Tel: +352 424409 1