cat-users - Re: [[cat-users]] CAT admin login through social networks

Re: [[cat-users]] CAT admin login through social networks

  • From: Stefan Winter <stefan.winter AT restena.lu>
  • To: "Hadlow, Tim" <Tim.Hadlow AT bl.uk>, "'cat-users AT lists.geant.org'" <cat-users AT lists.geant.org>
  • Subject: Re: [[cat-users]] CAT admin login through social networks
  • Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2016 12:41:47 +0200

Hi,

> Using the 'Check realm reachability' feature and Live login tests with the
> 'Real (inner) username' and password completed with valid credentials and
> the ' Anonymous outer ID (optional)' left blank the test apparently
> succeeds and the NPS logs show PEAP in phase 1 and 'Microsoft: Secured
> password (EAP-MSCHAP v2)' in phase 2. The test does note that we are using
> a wildcard server certificate and "This can be problematic on some
> supplicants" so I did a bit more Googling and found a reference stating
> "The downside of wildcard certificate is that they are not currently
> supported by Microsoft Windows 802.1X supplicants", I haven't yet been able
> to verify that but it would fit with your idea that it is actually the
> phase 1 server certificate validation that is the problem. I'll try to get
> the server manager to replace the certificate and have another go then.

Ah, yes, that is a known problem for Windows 8+ (I haven't verified it
for Winodws 10 yet though; does Windows 10 work for you in this setup?).
We have recorded this as a possible pitfall under

https://wiki.geant.org/display/H2eduroam/EAP+Server+Certificate+considerations

(Consideration 2, server name, third item)

We can update it with Windows 10 if that one also has this problem.

--
Stefan WINTER
Ingenieur de Recherche

Tel: +352 424409 1