cat-users - Re: [cat-users] static url's

Re: [cat-users] static url's

  • From: José Manuel Macías <jmanuel.macias AT rediris.es>
  • To: Stefan Winter <stefan.winter AT restena.lu>
  • Cc: cat-users AT geant.net, Judy Angel <J.Angel AT herts.ac.uk>
  • Subject: Re: [cat-users] static url's
  • Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2013 15:02:23 +0200

I wonder if tricking the server to rewrite the URLs to something more
"readable" would be desirable... I mean, something like the solution
described in this answer:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/13007938/htaccess-convert-a-url-parameter-in-folders/13008556#13008556

This way, the link:

https://cat.eduroam.org/download.php?idp=337&profile=487&generatedfor=user&device=apple_lion

Could be translated for instance into something like this:

https://cat.eduroam.org/download/apple_lion/profile/487/generatedfor/user/from/idP/337

cheers,

jose.

El 06/09/13 14:32, Stefan Winter escribió:
> Hi,
>
>> Clearly you did not get enough sleep :).
>
> That may well be true :-)
>
>> Of course we do have a way to deeplink installer which is
>> independent of the cache mechanism. You are using it yourself for
>> administrators downloads :).
>>
>> The magic link direct link is:
>> https://cat.eduroam.org/download.php?idp=337&profile=487&generatedfor=user&device=apple_lion
>

> Wow. Are you sure that's my code? Anyway, cool :-)
>
> You can apparently even add "&lang=fr" and analogous to get the
> installer in different languages.
>
> Well, this needs to be documented in any case. It doesn't help much
> if the URL is only known to a subset of the two core developers
> ;-)
>
> How about putting a small link besides the download button which
> contains the magic URL, like
>
> (direct link)
>
> in very small font for those who care?
>
>> However I would suggest that you might also use:
>> https://cat.eduroam.org/basic.php?page=5&idp=337&country=uk&lang=en&profile=487&device=vista

This will display some important information to your user before the