cat-users - Re: [cat-users] static url's

Re: [cat-users] static url's

  • From: Stefan Winter <stefan.winter AT restena.lu>
  • To: Tomasz Wolniewicz <twoln AT umk.pl>
  • Cc: cat-users AT geant.net, Judy Angel <J.Angel AT herts.ac.uk>
  • Subject: Re: [cat-users] static url's
  • Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2013 14:32:09 +0200

Hi,

> Clearly you did not get enough sleep :).

That may well be true :-)

> Of course we do have a way to deeplink installer which is independent of
> the cache mechanism.
> You are using it yourself for administrators downloads :).
>
> The magic link direct link is:
> https://cat.eduroam.org/download.php?idp=337&profile=487&generatedfor=user&device=apple_lion

Wow. Are you sure that's my code? Anyway, cool :-)

You can apparently even add "&lang=fr" and analogous to get the
installer in different languages.

Well, this needs to be documented in any case. It doesn't help much if
the URL is only known to a subset of the two core developers ;-)

How about putting a small link besides the download button which
contains the magic URL, like

(direct link)

in very small font for those who care?

> However I would suggest that you might also use:
> https://cat.eduroam.org/basic.php?page=5&idp=337&country=uk&lang=en&profile=487&device=vista
>
> This will display some important information to your user before the
> download.

Well, this will always open the smartphone-optimised basic.php, which
looks ... basic. Not very appealing on real laptops.

> If you play with basic.php you will easily discover the magic names for
> devices.
>
> If such deep linking is something people would like to have, then we
> could put some more effort into in the future, however please consider
> that CAT 1.1 will have an OS detection mechanism, as you could see on
> our test site.
> For instance try:
>
> http://cat.eduroam.pl/?profile=177&idp=216
>
> This will guess the operating system and profile most likely the best link.
>
> Tomasz
>

> W dniu 06.09.2013 07:58, Stefan Winter pisze:
>> Hi,
>>
>>> we are finding the cat tool very helpful and have customised the login
>>> to the wireless to allow users to download the relevant installer to
>>> their device. However we found out that the link had changed which made
>>> our link defunct. For example
>>>
>>> WIN7
>>> from 6ish aug 2013

--