rare-users - Re: [RARE-users] Hardware used in RARE for SOHO

Subject: RARE user and assistance email list

Re: [RARE-users] Hardware used in RARE for SOHO

  • From: Leon Meßner <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [RARE-users] Hardware used in RARE for SOHO
  • Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2021 15:10:21 +0200

Hi,

On Fri, 17 Sep 2021 13:16:00 +0200 Frédéric LOUI
<> wrote:

> Hi Leon,
>
> Welcome on board !
> (and hope to see you during our next VC-minar next Tuesday 4PM :) )
> https://umurcia.zoom.us/j/97233768422?pwd=TzFVMGo3WnZKRkwrOXBBSnllY0V0Zz09

thank you both for the warm welcome and all the tips.

> This appliance is a bit outdated, however upgrade can be found on this
> store:
> https://www.aliexpress.com/store/1114543?spm=a2g0o.detail.1000007.1.3c66745eARbf1y
>
> This one looks almost similar
> https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000266234442.html?spm=a2g0o.store_pc_topSellerIng.8148356.9.395c7cedKtAHHy
>
> I suggest to get 8G RAM + 128G of SSD (if you plan to add additional
> services)
>
> Other than that AES-NI is a plus but not mandatory, I’ve chosen J1900 in
> order to have more cores and no AES-NI.
>
> WIFI/Blutooth module is a nice to have but I’d rather delegate this to
> OpenWRT external hardware.
> (Asia) 3G/4G is useless in Europe.
>
> MC36 has also one of these box at home:
> https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32970672528.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.4bab4c4dSkBW4x
>
> And this is en even better hardware than mine (I did not have this choice
> when I started this SOHO project)

I never thought about looking at aliexpress. I'll see what i can find.
The IPU Series from nrg-systems (ipu-system.de (german only
unfortunately)) seems similar to some options. I also thought about
pc-engines APU boards with i210/211AT NICs and even AES-NI. But they
are not available ATM.

Regards,
Leon