rare-users - Re: [RARE-users] Hardware used in RARE for SOHO

Subject: RARE user and assistance email list

Re: [RARE-users] Hardware used in RARE for SOHO

  • From: Frédéric LOUI <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [RARE-users] Hardware used in RARE for SOHO
  • Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2021 13:16:00 +0200
  • Dkim-filter: OpenDKIM Filter v2.10.3 zmtaauth02.partage.renater.fr 46EAEA0346

Hi Leon,

Welcome on board !

(and hope to see you during our next VC-minar next Tuesday 4PM :) )
https://umurcia.zoom.us/j/97233768422?pwd=TzFVMGo3WnZKRkwrOXBBSnllY0V0Zz09

This appliance is a bit outdated, however upgrade can be found on this store:
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/1114543?spm=a2g0o.detail.1000007.1.3c66745eARbf1y

This one looks almost similar
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000266234442.html?spm=a2g0o.store_pc_topSellerIng.8148356.9.395c7cedKtAHHy

I suggest to get 8G RAM + 128G of SSD (if you plan to add additional services)

Other than that AES-NI is a plus but not mandatory, I’ve chosen J1900 in
order to have more cores and no AES-NI.

WIFI/Blutooth module is a nice to have but I’d rather delegate this to
OpenWRT external hardware.
(Asia) 3G/4G is useless in Europe.

MC36 has also one of these box at home:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32970672528.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.4bab4c4dSkBW4x

And this is en even better hardware than mine (I did not have this choice
when I started this SOHO project)

If you have a bit more budget and like commercial brand, I just staged these
beast:
https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/product-support/product/dell-emc-networking-vep1445-vep1485/docs

And i just admit that they are super cool as the uplink support 2x10GE SFP.

For any reasons you have any issue, feel free to seek help on this list ...

I hope you’d enjoy your RARE/freeRtr SOHO experience, for my part I’m using
it since 2 years and I’m loving it.

PS: I don’t have any incentive regarding these hardwares. This is just
personal experience I’m sharing with you.
Virtually any embedded platform would work as soon as you have JDK.
DPDK of course needs to be supported by the NIC chipset.

À bientôt,
-- Frederic