edugain-discuss - Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] MDS re-publishes schema-invalid metadata

edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org

Subject: An open discussion list for topics related to the eduGAIN interfederation service.

Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] MDS re-publishes schema-invalid metadata

  • From: Peter Schober <peter.schober AT univie.ac.at>
  • To: edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org
  • Subject: Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] MDS re-publishes schema-invalid metadata
  • Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2019 00:04:19 +0200

* Leif Johansson <leifj AT sunet.se> [2019-09-22 22:41]:
> > The xmllint command line tool (also using libxml2) did report this
> > (but as you say does not catch many other things), so it seems not
> > even knowing the underlying library will be sufficient to termine
> > whether a given system will break on a given input.
>
> Did you feed it schema or did it catch the error anyway?

With schemain all cases. xmllint wouldn't complain otherwise.

> With a bit of effort it would probably be doable to produce a
> library of the most useful checks. It would be interesting to get a
> feeling for what type of stuff people would like to have to get the
> ball rolling.

I guess looking at XmlSecTool would be one starting point.
And/Or the UKf's collection of XSL checks at
https://github.com/ukf/ukf-meta/tree/master/mdx/_rules

Also, the Shib MDA distribution or its main users at the UKf and InC
(read: Ian, any way you look) will also have amassed a "lorry load" of
checks. Too many and too detailed to re-implement, unless they're all
in XSL which would allow use "as is".

Personally, I don't have detailed individual checks, so far I simply
added more tools (performing those checks for me) to pre- and
post-"build" stages.
(Except for a stupid little check for the minimum number of expected
entities in a produced feed I added once an aggregate or ours that was
supposed to contain all our local entities plus all of eduGAIN only
ended up with /only/ our local entities and none of the eduGAIN ones:
The eduGAIN import had failed but aggregation continued happily,
producing schema-valid, correctly signed and perfect in any other
regard metadata files that simply cut off our eduGAIN-enabled members
from all of eduGAIN.
I guess that was before pyff had "fail_on_error True". ;))

-peter