edugain-discuss - Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] eduGAIN Connectivity Check Service for individual SPs

edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org

Subject: An open discussion list for topics related to the eduGAIN interfederation service.

Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] eduGAIN Connectivity Check Service for individual SPs

  • From: Chris Phillips <Chris.Phillips AT canarie.ca>
  • To: "edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org" <edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org>
  • Subject: Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] eduGAIN Connectivity Check Service for individual SPs
  • Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2017 15:30:41 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

Hi Jim,

Yes, a good example! I think there's some interesting datapoints to be
drawn from that environment:

Some thoughts:

My recollection of it's use is point to point testing as opposed to full
on 'let's saturate everything because we'll see what breaks' testing.
Am I mistaken?
I'm poking at their dashboard:
https://fasterdata.es.net/performance-testing/perfsonar/perfsonar-dashboard
/

And see test suites that stay within geo-political boundaries (with
the
exception of APAN: http://ps2.jp.apan.net/maddash-webui/ )

Also this is more a qualitative test of quality of the linkage regardless
of what's on the other end of the wire
(e.g. I can reach a region or endpoint of the network as opposed to a
'Service of the network')

Additionally, a unique aspect of perfSONAR is that one needs to deploy a
dedicated VM or physical machine capable of doing adequate tests.
This means that the testing endpoints are single purpose as opposed to
multipurpose or carry other services.

I think that's an important distinction.

Other observations: the matrix model of the dashboards are n x m but both
numbers are 'small'.

I'm not seeing 'all known perfSONAR boxes to all other perfSONAR boxes'

https://www.perfsonar.net/use/locating-other-instances/

(opening http://stats.es.net/ServicesDirectory/ says 'this may take
several minutes' so I think they too have the problem)

A good case to look at..