edugain-discuss - Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] Some updates on technical.edugain.org

edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org

Subject: An open discussion list for topics related to the eduGAIN interfederation service.

Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] Some updates on technical.edugain.org

  • From: Peter Schober <peter.schober AT univie.ac.at>
  • To: edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org
  • Subject: Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] Some updates on technical.edugain.org
  • Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2016 00:24:24 +0100

* Wolfgang Pempe <pempe AT dfn.de> [2016-02-19 00:07]:
> yes, that's the CLARIN ERIC. There's a special agreement with
> DFN-AAI, that we monitor the CLARIN SPF metadata, apply any changes
> to our federation registry (+ assign the requested Entity
> Categories) and expose (almost) all SPs to eduGAIN.

Which thankfully allows me to reverse that process: I autoamtically
pull only the entityID values of the "CLARIN SPs" from their site, and
copy all the entity descriptors that exist from the eduGAIN MDS into
our local (non-interfederation-enabled) federation feed.

While the CLARIN ERIC is a proper eduID.at federation member and can
register SPs with us, that doesn't mean I have to duplicate the work
other federation operators (from peer eduGAIN member federations) have
already performed, which checking, amending and labelling.

Pulling SAML Metadata automatically from CLARIN wasn't an option since
(1) they didn't sign their metadata (may have changed, don't know) and
(2) there was no MDRPS, and I took issue with some of their practices,
esp wrt assigning R&S, w/o populating mdrpi:RegistrationInfo
accordingly.

Which is why you'll find a number of entities in our
non-interfederation-enabled downsteam feed that carry a
registrationAuthority value of (currently):

23 https://www.aai.dfn.de
2 http://www.csc.fi/haka
1 http://www.eduid.cz/
1 http://feide.no/