edugain-discuss - Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] Some updates on technical.edugain.org

edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org

Subject: An open discussion list for topics related to the eduGAIN interfederation service.

Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] Some updates on technical.edugain.org

  • From: Tomasz Wolniewicz <twoln AT umk.pl>
  • To: Peter Schober <peter.schober AT univie.ac.at>, edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org
  • Subject: Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] Some updates on technical.edugain.org
  • Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2016 21:58:46 +0100

W dniu 18.02.2016 o 21:38, Peter Schober pisze:
> * Tomasz Wolniewicz <twoln AT umk.pl> [2016-02-18 21:15]:
>> 1. We no longer use Google maps. Instead static maps are generated on
>> each federations status update.
> Great (less Google is always good). But where are those maps and what
> do we need them for? Sorry, I never noticed any maps on the site.
PR, I guess :).
The are on the status page: https://technical.edugain.org/status and a
small one on the main page.

>> 2. There is an updated version of the database interface which allows one
>> to have a quick look into entities causing clashes.
>> You can display clash info along the normal listing, or limit the listing
>> to clashes only. You will see both the entities that come from you but
>> block others as well as the ones that you provide but are blocked by
>> others.
> Excellent! In case anyone else is wondering where to find the
> duplicates that did *not* make it into the aggregate -- the help has
> this to offer:
>
> CLASHes shown in Yelow make it to eduGAIN but block others,
> the ones show in Red are the blocked ones.
>
> I don't see any red ones (as they did not make it into the aggregate
> and when would the eduGAIN entities database ever show entities that
> are not in eduGAIN?) *but* clicking on the yellow CLASH "thing" (not a
> link, nor a button) will give you the other federations that have this
> in their eduGAIN upstream feed. Nice.
Select the UK Federation and display clashes. When you display all
clashes you do not see any red ones, as you only see their "real"
instance in the feed. When you select a given federation (or a group)
you will also see those entities which would have made it into eduGAIN
but were blocked by someone else.

>> 3. We have modified an ordering for clash resolution. We order
>> federations according to the moment they started providing metadata
>> to eduGAIN and the earliest ones take precedent. While this
>> algorithm is definitely not perfect is still seems better form the
>> alphabetic ordering of country coded that were used before.
> DFN-AAI still always wins (which is good, so entities in the aggregate
> are not suddenly switched between upstreams), but maybe TAAT,
> PIONIER.Id, ARNES AAI and Haka can take this occasion to "own" those
> registrations, if you feel it has a more natural home (federation)
> these days. Making sure in the process that the entity descriptor is
> at least as fully featured (and compatible) with the copy DFN-AAI
> currently feeds into eduGAIN.
Clarin is a special case. It seems that one organisation is allowed to
represent all and register them in a federation. My guess is that the
Polish instance in our metadata is a mistake, but we need to discuss
that with the SP.

> Thanks Tomasz (and Maja, I'm assuming) for your work!
and Higinio Maeztu from RedIris for providing the script to colour the
world map.

Tomasz

--
Tomasz Wolniewicz
twoln AT umk.pl http://www.home.umk.pl/~twoln

Uczelniane Centrum Informatyczne Information&Communication Technology
Centre
Uniwersytet Mikolaja Kopernika Nicolaus Copernicus University,
pl. Rapackiego 1, Torun pl. Rapackiego 1, Torun, Poland
tel: +48-56-611-2750 fax: +48-56-622-1850 tel kom.: +48-693-032-576