edugain-discuss - Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] Some updates on technical.edugain.org

edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org

Subject: An open discussion list for topics related to the eduGAIN interfederation service.

Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] Some updates on technical.edugain.org

  • From: Rhys Smith <Rhys.Smith AT jisc.ac.uk>
  • To: Tomasz Wolniewicz <twoln AT umk.pl>
  • Cc: "edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org" <edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org>
  • Subject: Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] Some updates on technical.edugain.org
  • Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2016 21:35:46 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-GB, en-US
  • Spamdiagnosticmetadata: NSPM
  • Spamdiagnosticoutput: 1:23

> On 18 Feb 2016, at 20:58, Tomasz Wolniewicz <twoln AT umk.pl> wrote:
>

> W dniu 18.02.2016 o 21:38, Peter Schober pisze:
>> * Tomasz Wolniewicz <twoln AT umk.pl> [2016-02-18 21:15]:
>>> 1. We no longer use Google maps. Instead static maps are generated on
>>> each federations status update.
>> Great (less Google is always good). But where are those maps and what
>> do we need them for? Sorry, I never noticed any maps on the site.
> PR, I guess :).
> The are on the status page: https://technical.edugain.org/status and a
> small one on the main page.

Quick Q - the map shows CARSI (China) as being an eduGAIN member. I didn’t
think they were?

>>> 2. There is an updated version of the database interface which allows one
>>> to have a quick look into entities causing clashes.
>>> You can display clash info along the normal listing, or limit the listing
>>> to clashes only. You will see both the entities that come from you but
>>> block others as well as the ones that you provide but are blocked by
>>> others.
>> Excellent! In case anyone else is wondering where to find the
>> duplicates that did *not* make it into the aggregate -- the help has
>> this to offer:
>>
>> CLASHes shown in Yelow make it to eduGAIN but block others,
>> the ones show in Red are the blocked ones.
>>
>> I don't see any red ones (as they did not make it into the aggregate
>> and when would the eduGAIN entities database ever show entities that
>> are not in eduGAIN?) *but* clicking on the yellow CLASH "thing" (not a
>> link, nor a button) will give you the other federations that have this
>> in their eduGAIN upstream feed. Nice.
> Select the UK Federation and display clashes. When you display all
> clashes you do not see any red ones, as you only see their "real"
> instance in the feed. When you select a given federation (or a group)
> you will also see those entities which would have made it into eduGAIN
> but were blocked by someone else.

Nice, very useful, thanks for that Tomasz (and Peter for the explanation -
took me a few minutes to figure it out!)

Rhys.

--
Dr Rhys Smith
Chief Technical Architect, Trust & Identity

T: +44 (0) 1235 822145
M: +44 (0) 7968 087821
Skype: rhys-smith
GPG: 0x4638C985
Lumen House, Library Avenue, Harwell Oxford, Didcot, OX11 0SG

jisc.ac.uk

Jisc is a registered charity (number 1149740) and a company limited by
guarantee which is registered in England under Company No. 5747339, VAT No.
GB 197 0632 86. Jisc’s registered office is: One Castlepark, Tower Hill,
Bristol, BS2 0JA. T 0203 697 5800.