edugain-discuss - Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] Some updates on technical.edugain.org

edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org

Subject: An open discussion list for topics related to the eduGAIN interfederation service.

Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] Some updates on technical.edugain.org

  • From: Peter Schober <peter.schober AT univie.ac.at>
  • To: edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org
  • Subject: Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] Some updates on technical.edugain.org
  • Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2016 21:38:46 +0100

* Tomasz Wolniewicz <twoln AT umk.pl> [2016-02-18 21:15]:
> 1. We no longer use Google maps. Instead static maps are generated on
> each federations status update.

Great (less Google is always good). But where are those maps and what
do we need them for? Sorry, I never noticed any maps on the site.

> 2. There is an updated version of the database interface which allows one
> to have a quick look into entities causing clashes.
> You can display clash info along the normal listing, or limit the listing
> to clashes only. You will see both the entities that come from you but
> block others as well as the ones that you provide but are blocked by others.

Excellent! In case anyone else is wondering where to find the
duplicates that did *not* make it into the aggregate -- the help has
this to offer:

CLASHes shown in Yelow make it to eduGAIN but block others,
the ones show in Red are the blocked ones.

I don't see any red ones (as they did not make it into the aggregate
and when would the eduGAIN entities database ever show entities that
are not in eduGAIN?) *but* clicking on the yellow CLASH "thing" (not a
link, nor a button) will give you the other federations that have this
in their eduGAIN upstream feed. Nice.

> 3. We have modified an ordering for clash resolution. We order
> federations according to the moment they started providing metadata
> to eduGAIN and the earliest ones take precedent. While this
> algorithm is definitely not perfect is still seems better form the
> alphabetic ordering of country coded that were used before.

DFN-AAI still always wins (which is good, so entities in the aggregate
are not suddenly switched between upstreams), but maybe TAAT,
PIONIER.Id, ARNES AAI and Haka can take this occasion to "own" those
registrations, if you feel it has a more natural home (federation)
these days. Making sure in the process that the entity descriptor is
at least as fully featured (and compatible) with the copy DFN-AAI
currently feeds into eduGAIN.

Thanks Tomasz (and Maja, I'm assuming) for your work!
-peter