edugain-discuss - Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] Machine readable and 'trusted' interfederation metadata

edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org

Subject: An open discussion list for topics related to the eduGAIN interfederation service.

Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] Machine readable and 'trusted' interfederation metadata

  • From: Niels van Dijk <niels.vandijk AT surfnet.nl>
  • To: edugain-discuss AT geant.net
  • Subject: Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] Machine readable and 'trusted' interfederation metadata
  • Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2014 16:52:22 +0200

On 04-08-14 14:48, Peter Schober wrote:
> * Niels van Dijk <niels.vandijk AT surfnet.nl> [2014-08-04 14:30]:
>> I understand your point. For my usecase that is however not
>> usable as I cannot bind people (and thus logins) to that. However
>> I think I can come up with a way of using the official email to
>> bootstrap this.
>
> Would you care to share more abou this use-case, maybe? ;) -peter

Sure:
* For the SimpleValidationService I am investigating the possibilities
for onboarding SPs. As you may know SvS acts as a SAML SP towards
eduGAIN IdPs, and will allow all eduGAIN IdPs by default. On the
'other side' of SvS we are planning to implement (one or more) OpenID
Connect endpoint(s) to allow SPs to validate if someone is affiliate
with higher education. For more details see:
(https://wiki.surfnet.nl/display/SvS/RFC%3A+Simple+Validation+Service)
I am pondering in what way these OpenID Connect SPs can be managed.
Several possible method’s for that exist, and I am investigating a
mechanism where a federation operator can register (or at least
bootstrap registration of) an OpenID Connect SP. That would however
require me to determine who is authoritative to Register a SP on
behalf of a federation. For bootstraping that, I would like a list of
federation contacts from an authoritative source, e.g. eduGAIN.

* SURFnet is developing a group authZ service that it will make
available for eduGAIN (endusers). The service is expected to operate
in much the same way as the current national Teams application of
SURFconext. The service will allow any enduser that can login to the
service via eduGAIN to create a group and invite others.
(SAML) Service providers can then query the API interfaces of the
service to determine if a given user is a member of a group.
Again the service will allow all eduGAIN IdPs by default, and again
onboarding SPs is the issue. Here also I am investigating what would
be the best way to bootstrap registration of SPs. If I want federation
operators to be involved, I would need a list of federation contacts
from an authoritative source, e.g. eduGAIN.

Cheers,
Niels