edugain-discuss - Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] Machine readable and 'trusted' interfederation metadata

edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org

Subject: An open discussion list for topics related to the eduGAIN interfederation service.

Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] Machine readable and 'trusted' interfederation metadata

  • From: Tomasz Wolniewicz <twoln AT umk.pl>
  • To: Niels van Dijk <niels.vandijk AT surfnet.nl>, edugain-discuss AT geant.net
  • Subject: Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] Machine readable and 'trusted' interfederation metadata
  • Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2014 12:36:29 +0200

Hi Niels,
Whenever it comes to displaing information about individuals, I'm always reluctant, especially in a format that is easily harvested. Also in some cases federation administrators explicitly asked that their mails not be included on the status page.

I would say that for any automated notification system you should only use the official federation contact, which is provided in my output. If you need more then you would have to do this manually (i.e. use the status page) and with a proper consideration. If I have an official matter to a federation operator I *always* use the generic contact email, only if this does not get replied to, I could use an individual SG representative mail.

Membership status - this is always "member". I do not inform about non-members, I do not see any reason why I should. They are not providing matadata to eduGAIN, therefore cannot be a part to any eduGAIN related problem.

Tomasz