edugain-discuss - Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] Machine readable and 'trusted' interfederation metadata

edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org

Subject: An open discussion list for topics related to the eduGAIN interfederation service.

Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] Machine readable and 'trusted' interfederation metadata

  • From: Peter Schober <peter.schober AT univie.ac.at>
  • To: edugain-discuss AT geant.net
  • Subject: Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] Machine readable and 'trusted' interfederation metadata
  • Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2014 11:43:10 +0200

Since this is the eduGAIN-discuss list and not e.g. REFEDS I think we
do have everything in place you ask for:

* Niels van Dijk <niels.vandijk AT surfnet.nl> [2014-08-01 11:28]:
> 1) We are building trust frameworks like e.g. CoCo and the R&S bundle
> which rely on the federation operator to issue statements on the
> 'trustworthiness' of an entitie. I have however no means to contact the
> federation operator that issued that statement based on the information
> provided. I could try to find these details on the page of the
> registrationAuthority, but these pages are mostly targeted at the local
> audience, so e.g. primarily available in the local language. Browsing
> these pages does however also reveal that most federations do provide
> such contact details at some place on these websites as public data. So
> there seems to be no reason not to have these in a public metadata
> registry as well.
> 2) If we want to automate incident response of cause primarily the SP or
> IdP is involved. There are however scenarios where the federation
> operator is/should be involved as well. How can these be reached, other
> then via the 'old boys' network (which is very good for trust, but
> scales rather poorly)?
> 3) In this grand age of community cloud <irony detection off>, I want to
> offer a service to fellow federations. Suppose I want federation
> operators to be able to do stuff, how do I get an authoritative
> statement on who these people are?

For 1, 2 and 3: Use the registered federation identifier from
@registrationAuthority as a key to uniquely identify the federation
at this page: http://www.edugain.org/technical/status.php
Which will also give you the official contacts for each federation,
both with a role address as well as the eduGAIN Steering Group
delegate and deputy.

If you'd need some enhancement to the available interface (e.g. to
ease automated processing of its content) I'm sure something could be
done about it.
Suggesting this at e.g. an eduGAIN Steering Group meeting would make
sense, like we the one that took place yesterday. Sadly noone from
SURFconext bothered to show up.
-peter