cat-users - [[cat-users]] Hide 'production ready' profiles but allow direct download

[[cat-users]] Hide 'production ready' profiles but allow direct download

  • From: Robert Franklin <rcf34 AT cam.ac.uk>
  • To: "cat-users AT lists.geant.org" <cat-users AT lists.geant.org>
  • Subject: [[cat-users]] Hide 'production ready' profiles but allow direct download
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2019 11:02:34 +0000

Hello,

We’d like to offer two versions of the CAT: one using a local root CA and the
other using a well-known public root CA. The rationale here is that, for
platforms where you can limit the trusted scope of the CA [e.g. iOS], or you
can’t [usually] use a public CA [Android], then the local root CA is better;
for platforms where you can’t [Windows] then the public root CA is better (at
least to avoid adding a new CA that people might object to).

We can do this with the CAT, and limit what platforms are available with each
option, but users get presented with a [potentially confusing] choice of
profiles and the only control we have over that message is the [short] title
we use for the profile.

In our case, we provide direct links to the CAT installer on our website for
Windows, so just linking directly to it is fine: it doesn’t need to appear on
the CAT menu (especially in the Android app). However, for the download link
to work, we need to mark that profile as ‘production ready’, which then gives
users thechoice.

It would be useful, in our case, if there was another option, where we could
mark the profile as ‘hidden’ whilst ‘production ready’, to stop it appearing
as a direct choice to users but still allow the direct download link to work
for the enabled platforms, or some other combination of options to achieve
something similar.

Alternatively, is there another way to achieve this?

Thanks in advance for any help,

- Bob

--
Bob Franklin rcf34 AT cam.ac.uk / (+44 1223 7) 48479
Networks, University Information Services, University of Cambridge