cat-users - Re: [[cat-users]] Hide 'production ready' profiles but allow direct download

Re: [[cat-users]] Hide 'production ready' profiles but allow direct download

  • From: Robert Franklin <rcf34 AT cam.ac.uk>
  • To: Tomasz Wolniewicz <twoln AT umk.pl>
  • Cc: "cat-users AT lists.geant.org" <cat-users AT lists.geant.org>
  • Subject: Re: [[cat-users]] Hide 'production ready' profiles but allow direct download
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2019 14:51:34 +0000

Hello,

Thanks for your reply…

> On 25 Jan 2019, at 11:55, Tomasz Wolniewicz <twoln AT umk.pl> wrote:
>
> First of all, when you say that the information for the user is
> limited to the name of the profile - this is not quite true. Indeed on
> the selection lit this is all that you see, but once you select profile
> you can see additional information if the admin as provided it. See
> https://cat.eduroam.org/?idp=1

I hadn’t tried that but that would be an option - I’ll see what I can make it
say…

> Secondly, got that link to work you do not need to make profile
> visible, however to get the correct link out of CAT, currently you need
> to do some hacking, which should not be needed and we must correct that
> in the future.
>
> When you define a profile, you get the button "Installer Fine-Tuning and
> Download.
>
> From the resulting page you can download the installers and you can also
> link to them by something like:
>
> https://cat.eduroam.org/user/API.php?action=downloadInstaller&profile=XXXX&device=DDDC&lang=en
>

> This way you should be able to create local links without making the
> profile visible.

That doesn’t work for me: when the profile is NOT marked as ‘production
ready’, I get a ‘404 Not found’, trying to download the profile; when I
switch it to ‘production ready’, I can download it. For example:

doraemon:~ rcf$ wget
'https://cat.eduroam.org/user/API.php?action=downloadInstaller&api_version=2&lang=en&device=w10&profile=5968’

--2019-01-25 14:44:56--
https://cat.eduroam.org/user/API.php?action=downloadInstaller&api_version=2&lang=en&device=w10&profile=5968

Resolving cat.eduroam.org (cat.eduroam.org)... 145.100.191.84
Connecting to cat.eduroam.org (cat.eduroam.org)|145.100.191.84|:443...
connected.
2019-01-25 14:44:56 ERROR 404: Not Found.

… I’ve tried removing the ‘api_version=2’ bit and no difference.

> Still you should remember that your users are likely tofind CAT by
> themselves and should not be confused by that they see there. If you do
> not want them to download directly form CAT then you could create
> profile redirects (while still keeping direct links to CAT)

I’ve done that, yes. However, I’d prefer to avoid them getting that far, if
I can!

- Bob

--
Bob Franklin rcf34 AT cam.ac.uk / (+44 1223 7) 48479
Networks, University Information Services, University of Cambridge