cat-users - Re: [[cat-users]] Feature request for login name

Re: [[cat-users]] Feature request for login name

  • From: Tomasz Wolniewicz <twoln AT umk.pl>
  • To: cat-users AT lists.geant.org
  • Subject: Re: [[cat-users]] Feature request for login name
  • Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2016 13:51:35 +0200

Hi Zenon,

W dniu 2016-04-05 o 13:21, Zenon Mousmoulas pisze:
> I wonder if people are aware that in CAT itself you can set additional
>> hints which are displayed in the GUI before the download is started.
>> For NCU this hint says "For eduroam use the same username and password
>> as for USOS" (USOS is our study support system).
>> Perhaps, if people used this more then the problem would go away?
>
> Yes, but that option is "hidden" under device-specific or
> eap-type-specific options. You also need to set it per language. And
> this comes at a different point in time, not when the user is prompted
> to enter their username. Which prompts for a different question: Do
> the android app users get to see this text when they pick a profile
> from within the helper app?
It is rather natural that this setting can be done in many languages (of
course you can limit yourself to the default setting if you only need
one). Indeed it is fairly hidden but CAT is just becoming too complex to
have everything completely in the open, but perhaps we should think of a
way to make such hidden features known to admins.

About Android users - no unfortunately this message is not saved in the
profile itself, it is shown to the user in the CAT WEB interface before
the download of the profile. If the profile is downloaded directly from
the Android then this message will not be shown either. To enable this
I need to modify the API, but this is absolutely natural that this is
required for the future.

> In any case, I am not a UX person, so if this is how/when you think
> users should get prompted, I wouldn't object to that either. I
> understand that is a more flexible option, but it still feels
> different from the sort of hint we are discussing.
I agree that this is a different hint, I just wanted to be sure that
people know it exists, as I believe id does serve the same purpose and I
wondered if people might think that this is sufficient.

Tomasz

--
Tomasz Wolniewicz

twoln AT umk.pl
http://www.home.umk.pl/~twoln

Uczelniane Centrum Informatyczne Information&Communication Technology Centre
Uniwersytet Mikolaja Kopernika Nicolaus Copernicus University,
pl. Rapackiego 1, Torun pl. Rapackiego 1, Torun, Poland
tel: +48-56-611-2750 fax: +48-56-622-1850 tel kom.: +48-693-032-576