cat-users - Re: [[cat-users]] Feature request for login name

Re: [[cat-users]] Feature request for login name

  • From: Tomasz Wolniewicz <twoln AT umk.pl>
  • To: cat-users AT lists.geant.org
  • Cc: cnelson AT ceg-uk.com
  • Subject: Re: [[cat-users]] Feature request for login name
  • Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2016 12:52:45 +0200

Hi Zenon,

W dniu 2016-04-05 o 11:59, Zenon Mousmoulas pisze:
> Hi Tomasz,
>
> brief answers to your questions:
>
> I see your point about inner identity. Making this configurable as an
> on/off option next to anonymity support (general profile properties)
> would be OK. I wouldn't even care if it defaults to enabled, as long
> as the option is there. It would be fine to just suggest (in a label
> next to the actual text input) something like
> username@realm-configured-on-profile. No pre-fill or enforcement, I
> believe we can revisit this later if necessary.
I wonder if people are aware that in CAT itself you can set additional
hints which are displayed in the GUI before the download is started.
For NCU this hint says "For eduroam use the same username and password
as for USOS" (USOS is our study support system).
Perhaps, if people used this more then the problem would go away?

> As for realms: On the CAT profile an exact (not a suffix nor a
> wildcard) realm is configured so far, as that is used for
> reach-ability checks (the only visible use AFAIK). If the semantics
> were to change, I would prefer itif CAT would support a list of realms
> associated with a profile, as I think we are trying to do away with
> suffixes and wildcards in general (in an eduroam db context). In such
> a case the label/descriptive text should say something like @<realm>
> where <realm> can be one of: ...
The realm is used to set the outer identity for methods that use one.
If you do not set the realm then the anonymous identity option is not
available. Thus is the *main* use of the realm, reachability tests are
just an ad-on utility. This is why we cannot have a list of realms or
wildcards there. If I correctly understand your need for lists or
wildcards this would be for sanity testing of user input, I would
consider this to be an overkill. For sanity testing I would for suffix
testing only based on the current realm setting, with an option to turn
this all altogether.

Tomasz

--
Tomasz Wolniewicz

twoln AT umk.pl
http://www.home.umk.pl/~twoln

Uczelniane Centrum Informatyczne Information&Communication Technology Centre
Uniwersytet Mikolaja Kopernika Nicolaus Copernicus University,
pl. Rapackiego 1, Torun pl. Rapackiego 1, Torun, Poland
tel: +48-56-611-2750 fax: +48-56-622-1850 tel kom.: +48-693-032-576