cat-users - Re: [[cat-users]] Feature request for login name

Re: [[cat-users]] Feature request for login name

  • From: Tomasz Wolniewicz <twoln AT umk.pl>
  • To: Patrik Holmqvist <patrik.holmqvist AT su.se>, "cat-users AT lists.geant.org" <cat-users AT lists.geant.org>
  • Subject: Re: [[cat-users]] Feature request for login name
  • Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2016 11:22:50 +0200

Hi,
Obviously this has been requested several times, so probably it is
time that we should do something about it, at least in installers where
we can control things.

There are two sides to this problem.
The first is notification on incorrect username input. This one probably
is not really controversial, but things need to be specified, for one -
do we have cases where the username *should* be provided without the
realm (this is just the inner identity, so the realm is not necessarily
required). Perhaps we should need another option (defaulting to set)
which would be "require realm for inner identity"?
How should the notification be done? Should we just react when no realm
is given or additionally in the case when a realm is set in the CAT
profile should we also require that the username *ends* with the
provided realm? I would be against an exact match of the realm as people
may have subrealms which are perfectly valid.

The second side is pre-filling the username field with something.
I do not expect that people who *do not want* such a feature cared to
speak up so far, but I can imagine that such people may exist, as I
would be one of them. In the case of my university people are used to
providing usernames with realms also in WEB applications, and besides we
need to support several subrealms so providing a partially filled field
with a possibly wrong value, would likely cause confusion. Therefore
such behaviour of the installers would need to be optional (hence yet
another option to master by the admins).
Assuming that we go ahead with such an option, I would like to discuss
how this can be implemented.
In the case of Windows installer we now have:
Username: <input field>

How should the <input field> be prefilled? Should it be:
1. "@my.realm"
2. "user AT my.realm"
3. "some_descriptive_text AT my.realm"

Any opinion very welcome.

Tomasz

--
Tomasz Wolniewicz

twoln AT umk.pl
http://www.home.umk.pl/~twoln

Uczelniane Centrum Informatyczne Information&Communication Technology Centre
Uniwersytet Mikolaja Kopernika Nicolaus Copernicus University,
pl. Rapackiego 1, Torun pl. Rapackiego 1, Torun, Poland
tel: +48-56-611-2750 fax: +48-56-622-1850 tel kom.: +48-693-032-576