cat-users - [[cat-users]] eduroam installer and Fedora 23

[[cat-users]] eduroam installer and Fedora 23

  • From: Per Mejdal Rasmussen <pmr AT its.aau.dk>
  • To: <cat-users AT lists.geant.org>
  • Cc: <jbrehi15 AT student.aau.dk>
  • Subject: [[cat-users]] eduroam installer and Fedora 23
  • Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2016 09:50:04 +0100

On behalf of one of our students (jbrehi15 AT student.aau.dk) I would like to forward the email below to the eduroam installer team.

The student was not able to successfully use the eduroam installer on hes PC with Fedora 23 installed (but is worked on Fedora 22 previously). He was able to do a manually install.

I don't think the following is related to this issue, but I would like to mention it, to make hes email easier to understand: The WIFI network at Aalborg University runs an extra SSID called AAU-1x. It is authenticate-wise exactly the same as eduroam. Except it only allows local users. The SSID is from before eduroam existed, and connects users to a more privileged network. It is our plan to either remove this functionality, or use radius to switch which VLAN client connect to.

--Start of forwarded email--
Hi,

I have had trouble configuring the AAU-1x (and eduroam) Wi-Fi networks on my PC for a while now and would like to share some feedback with you about the autoconfiguration script.
I am running Fedora 23 and I know it has worked previously both under Fedora 22 and 23 on previous installs. I use Gnome Shell 3.18.4 as a desktop manager.

I have first tried with the given script at https://cat.eduroam.org/user/API.php?action=downloadInstaller&lang=en&id=linux&profile=1969 (found on http://www.en.its.aau.dk/instructions/wifi/aau-1x-and-eduroam/aau-1x-and-eduroam-for-ubuntu/) and the one downloaded directly from eduroam site.

I have tried to run it a lot of different times (deleting the non-working generated config files in between attempts or leaving them) and none of the attempts worked.
Each time I try, I receive this message: %% TODO: Insert error message here %% La configuration du gestionnaire de réseau a échoué. Génération du fichier wpa_supplicant.conf
Then, it says that the output has been written to a file in: ~/.cat_installer/cat_installer.conf.

When I actually go to the directory ~/.cat_installer I see a certificate and the above specified file (ca.pem and cat_installer.conf, see attachments).

No trace of the file wpa_supplicant.conf file when running `sudo find / -name wpa_supplicant.conf`. Or actually, I do have results that match this request but none are related to AAU's wifi or eduroam.

As a last point, you can see in the attachment a picture showing that both AAU-1X and eduroam aren't configured at all in my network settings (AAU-1-DAY has been configure and has the gear icon to modify settings, while the two others don't).

Secondly, I tried configuring AAU-1x manually following both the previously mentioned page and the it-wiki page (namely https://it-wiki.es.aau.dk/wiki/AAU-1x_in_Ubuntu) and it finally worked somehow (I had tried that multiple times before with no success).

Since my connection problem is resolved, I don't need a special help from you but I just wanted to point out this problem, hoping someone will take that into account (see also the post-scriptum).

Best Regards,

Julien BREHIN
B.Sc. in Electronics and IT
6th semester

PS: I had to remove my password from cat_installer.conf to send it to you... Seriously, having that written in clear text in a file that's.. wow ! --" Not blaming you necessary, the installer script seems to be written by eduroam, but still..
--End of forwarded email--

Note the 3 attached files.

--
Per Mejdal Rasmussen
http://personprofil.aau.dk/109070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ca_cert="/home/Aand/.cat_installer/ca.pem"

identity="jbrehi15 AT student.aau.dk"
domain_suffix_match="wifi.aau.dk"
phase2="auth=MSCHAPV2"
password=""