cat-users - Re: [cat-users] Changes for Windows XP, Vista and 7 with EAP-TTLS

Re: [cat-users] Changes for Windows XP, Vista and 7 with EAP-TTLS

  • From: Scott Armitage <S.P.Armitage AT lboro.ac.uk>
  • To: Stefan Winter <stefan.winter AT restena.lu>
  • Cc: "cat-users AT geant.net" <cat-users AT geant.net>
  • Subject: Re: [cat-users] Changes for Windows XP, Vista and 7 with EAP-TTLS
  • Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2015 09:20:59 +0100

> On 14 Apr 2015, at 08:29, Stefan Winter
> <stefan.winter AT restena.lu>
> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
>> Perhaps a lawyer should investigate this further ...
>
> GEANT Association did consult with a team of lawyers - the issue has
> been "cooking" since a few weeks. It turns out that the lawyer's
> assessment is that the best way forward is indeed to take down the TTLS
> functionality for Windows 7-and-below until a replacement - or the
> source code - is found.
>
> That's why we needed to take this drastic step. It's a decision taken
> with much thought behind it by GEANT management - not a spontaneous
> reaction by the guys writing the code.

Perhaps GEANT should contact SecureW2 and charge them a licence fee for using
the eduroam trademark on their website ;-)

Particularly as on the eduroam.org website under trademark information it
states:

"The use of any eduroam trademarks by a third party must be agreed with the
GÉANT Association beforehand and must be used in a manner that does not
create potential confusion over the source of eduroam.”

Scott