cat-users - Re: [cat-users] Mac OS X Lion - no user identifier found in record

Re: [cat-users] Mac OS X Lion - no user identifier found in record

  • From: Stefan Winter <stefan.winter AT restena.lu>
  • To: Mike Dixson <m.dixson AT rave.ac.uk>
  • Cc: eduroam cat mailing list <cat-users AT geant.net>
  • Subject: Re: [cat-users] Mac OS X Lion - no user identifier found in record
  • Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2013 08:16:14 +0200

> I'm made the change you suggested and double checked that the string is
> now a valid OID like string however I'm still getting the same error.

Hmm... that is a bit strange indeed. Since the file now looks
well-formed, and since there are an awful many downloads of the
mobileconfig CAT profiles which are known to work, I'm a bit at a loss here.

One thing you could try is to enter the realm and check the "anonymous
outer identity" box and see if that changes anything. If set, the
profile will add the XML tag "OuterIdentity"; and since the error
message vaguely talks about user IDs, maybe it is remotely connected.

Other than that... does the profile not work consistently across devices
and device groups (the same mobileconfig file serves iOS on iPhones,
iPads, iPods with WiFi, Mac OS 10.7 and 10.8)?

Does it work on a subset of these platforms maybe?

> Thanks
> Mike
>

> On 28 August 2013 14:22, Stefan Winter
> <stefan.winter AT restena.lu
> <mailto:stefan.winter AT restena.lu>>
> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> >> I've started working on the Configuration Assistant Tool set up for
> >> Ravensbourne and have run into a little problem.
> >> When running the tool for the profile I've set up on a Mac (Lion) the
> >> user receives the error "no user identifier found in record",
> screenshot
> >> attached.
> >
> > Um, our mailing list software seems to have eaten your attachment.
> Could
> > you send it to me personally
> (stefan.winter AT restena.lu
>
> <mailto:stefan.winter AT restena.lu>),
> along with the
> > mobileconfig file?
>
> With the screenshot and mobileconfig file, I was able to locate the
> issue: If one does not set the "Profile Name" attribute, then the
> mobileconfig file erroneously uses the empty string, making the OID-like
> constructs that Apple mobileconfig uses invalid, like:
>
> org.1x-config.eduroam.uk.ravensbourne..credential.0
>
> for the first root CA (note the "nothing" between the two dots).
>
> The intermediate fix is to edit the profile and set a profile name; the
> more long-term one is a code fix to 1.0.3 to use a placeholder (like the
> profile ID from the DB) to create apple-conformant strings.
>
> It goes without saying that the Apple UI's error message is *totally*
> meaningless and misleading. But well...
>
> Please let me know if setting a profile name fixes the issue for you.
>
> Greetings,
>
> Stefan Winter
>

> > Thanks!
> >
> > Stefan Winter
> >

> >> I've been over the config to check for any errors and I cannot spot
> >> anything.
> >> The user enters the current username and password when prompted.
> >>
> >> Any thoughts?
> >>
> >> Screen Shot 2013-08-19 at 12.33.37.png
> >>

> >> -- Project Manager (Networks)
> >> Ravensbourne 6 Penrose Way, London, SE10 0EW
> >> T: +442030403500 <tel:%2B442030403500>
> >> E:
> m.dixson AT rave.ac.uk
>
> <mailto:m.dixson AT rave.ac.uk>
>
> <mailto:m.dixson AT rave.ac.uk
>
> <mailto:m.dixson AT rave.ac.uk>>
> >> W: www.rave.ac.uk <http://www.rave.ac.uk> <http://www.rave.ac.uk>
> >>

> --
> Stefan WINTER
> Ingenieur de Recherche
> Fondation RESTENA - Réseau Téléinformatique de l'Education Nationale et
> de la Recherche
> 6, rue Richard Coudenhove-Kalergi
> L-1359 Luxembourg
>
> Tel: +352 424409 1 <tel:%2B352%20424409%201>
> Fax: +352 422473 <tel:%2B352%20422473>
>

> --
> Project Manager (Networks)
> Ravensbourne 6 Penrose Way, London, SE10 0EW
> [...]

Fax: +352 422473