cat-users - Re: [cat-users] Mac OS X Lion - no user identifier found in record

Re: [cat-users] Mac OS X Lion - no user identifier found in record

  • From: Mike Dixson <m.dixson AT rave.ac.uk>
  • To: Stefan Winter <stefan.winter AT restena.lu>
  • Cc: eduroam cat mailing list <cat-users AT geant.net>
  • Subject: Re: [cat-users] Mac OS X Lion - no user identifier found in record
  • Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2013 16:37:20 +0100

Hi Stefan et al,

I'm made the change you suggested and double checked that the string is now a valid OID like string however I'm still getting the same error.

Thanks
Mike

On 28 August 2013 14:22, Stefan Winter <stefan.winter AT restena.lu> wrote:
Hi,

>> I've started working on the Configuration Assistant Tool set up for
>> Ravensbourne and have run into a little problem.
>> When running the tool for the profile I've set up on a Mac (Lion) the
>> user receives the error "no user identifier found in record", screenshot
>> attached.
>
> Um, our mailing list software seems to have eaten your attachment. Could
> you send it to me personally (stefan.winter AT restena.lu), along with the
> mobileconfig file?

With the screenshot and mobileconfig file, I was able to locate the
issue: If one does not set the "Profile Name" attribute, then the
mobileconfig file erroneously uses the empty string, making the OID-like
constructs that Apple mobileconfig uses invalid, like:

org.1x-config.eduroam.uk.ravensbourne..credential.0

for the first root CA (note the "nothing" between the two dots).

The intermediate fix is to edit the profile and set a profile name; the
more long-term one is a code fix to 1.0.3 to use a placeholder (like the
profile ID from the DB) to create apple-conformant strings.

It goes without saying that the Apple UI's error message is *totally*
meaningless and misleading. But well...

Please let me know if setting a profile name fixes the issue for you.

--
Stefan WINTER
Ingenieur de Recherche

Tel: +352 424409 1