rare-users - Re: [gn4-3-wp6-t1-wb-RARE] new features

Subject: RARE user and assistance email list

Re: [gn4-3-wp6-t1-wb-RARE] new features

  • From: mc36 <>
  • To: , Tim Chown <>
  • Cc: "" <>, Simon Leinen <>
  • Subject: Re: [gn4-3-wp6-t1-wb-RARE] new features
  • Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2021 13:35:07 +0100

hi,

On 2/10/21 1:11 PM, Tim Chown wrote:
On 8 Feb 2021, at 14:12, mc36 <> wrote:

hi,

On 2/8/21 2:10 PM, Simon Leinen wrote:
This GÉANT/EUMETSAT collaboration famously uses multicast:
https://impact.geant.org/portfolio/eumetsat/
This type of use cases should be supported by BIER, provided we can
bring this to the end sites.
surely we can! we have software based forwarder for bier with eactly
the same capabilites the tofino have: bier label replication, imposition
and decapsulation, and evpn/vpls flood reduction in software mode.
these software forwarders link with dpdk or libpcap so runs on anything,
and uses the same api from freertr, also so the user experience is the
same, regardless if the forwarding is done in asic, dpdk or pcap.

As for the backbone, it could be a nice
application for a RARE/Tofino-based overlay - we could remove the burden
of multicast routing from the backbone routers if that's desired.
agree, this "stateless" multicast is a very fancy thing to have!
assuming a geant sized network, just one source per site can result
in a huge mesh tree if it would be done by mldp, p2mp-te or pim,
probably this is why basically we don't see real-world multicast
applications…

Yes, that’s a big driver for bier. The challenge is content. I remember
watching NASA on multicast (bone) at uni well over 20 years ago. Much of the
current use of multicast seems to be local (like Bonjour in a lan, or control
protocols over a site), last mile, or on private networks (Stig says Cisco
multicast is used by private financial ticker-tape type applications).

Much of the original case for multicast seems to have been assimilated by CDN
infrastructure, though that may not be great for live TV. There must be a
LOT more football streaming now fans can’t be at grounds, via various
services like iFollow in the UK. How is that done?
i dont know ifollow, but saw some cdn nodes as most of us host google global
cache, akamai
and friends in our nern networks.... the interface stats here are not as
nice, 1/2 of the
upload is download here... so imho the real gain is the latency toward the
users... if you
look at what youtube-dl does, they operate in small chunks of payload, each
having it's own
url so it's not too hard them to 'cache' 'realtime' streams... but things
change... and as
the masses get hit by the multicast, there will be apps using it as the
developers will get
familiar with it... and there is a good change for it to happen, as cisco
does a trick to the
ipv6 and multicast, that is, once enabled, it enables on all the interfaces
and you have to
selectively disable it... it's the complete opposite of what they do on ipv4
so, i see the
chances here....:)
regards,
cs

c8kv#show ipv6 pim interface
No interfaces found.

c8kv#show running-config | include ipv6
ipv6 unicast-routing
ipv6 enable
c8kv#conf
c8kv#configure
Configuring from terminal, memory, or network [terminal]?
Enter configuration commands, one per line. End with CNTL/Z.
c8kv(config)#
c8kv(config)#ipv6 multicast-routing
c8kv(config)#^Z
c8kv#show ipv6 pim interface
Interface PIM Nbr Hello DR
Count Intvl Prior

Tunnel0 off 0 30 1
Address: ::
DR : not elected
Null0 off 0 30 1
Address: FE80::1
DR : not elected
GigabitEthernet1 on 0 30 1
Address: FE80::200:11FF:FE11:0
DR : this system
GigabitEthernet2 off 0 30 1
Address: ::
DR : not elected
GigabitEthernet3 off 0 30 1
Address: ::
DR : not elected
GigabitEthernet4 off 0 30 1
Address: ::
DR : not elected
GigabitEthernet5 off 0 30 1
Address: ::
DR : not elected
GigabitEthernet6 off 0 30 1
Address: ::
DR : not elected
GigabitEthernet7 off 0 30 1
Address: ::
DR : not elected
GigabitEthernet8 off 0 30 1
Address: ::
DR : not elected

c8kv#
c8kv#show ip pim interface

Address Interface Ver/ Nbr Query DR DR
Mode Count Intvl Prior
c8kv#
c8kv#
c8kv#conf
Configuring from terminal, memory, or network [terminal]?
Enter configuration commands, one per line. End with CNTL/Z.
c8kv(config)#
c8kv(config)#ip multicast-routing distributed
c8kv(config)#do sh ip pim int

Address Interface Ver/ Nbr Query DR DR
Mode Count Intvl Prior
c8kv(config)#