rare-users - Re: [gn4-3-wp6-t1-wb-RARE] new features

Subject: RARE user and assistance email list

Re: [gn4-3-wp6-t1-wb-RARE] new features

  • From: mc36 <>
  • To: , Simon Leinen <>, Tim Chown <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [gn4-3-wp6-t1-wb-RARE] new features
  • Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2021 15:12:47 +0100

hi,

On 2/8/21 2:10 PM, Simon Leinen wrote:
This GÉANT/EUMETSAT collaboration famously uses multicast:

https://impact.geant.org/portfolio/eumetsat/

This type of use cases should be supported by BIER, provided we can
bring this to the end sites.
surely we can! we have software based forwarder for bier with eactly
the same capabilites the tofino have: bier label replication, imposition
and decapsulation, and evpn/vpls flood reduction in software mode.
these software forwarders link with dpdk or libpcap so runs on anything,
and uses the same api from freertr, also so the user experience is the
same, regardless if the forwarding is done in asic, dpdk or pcap.

As for the backbone, it could be a nice
application for a RARE/Tofino-based overlay - we could remove the burden
of multicast routing from the backbone routers if that's desired.
agree, this "stateless" multicast is a very fancy thing to have!
assuming a geant sized network, just one source per site can result
in a huge mesh tree if it would be done by mldp, p2mp-te or pim,
probably this is why basically we don't see real-world multicast
applications...

regards,
cs