rare-dev - Re: [rare-dev] RARE/freeRtr for SWITCHDEV

Subject: Rare project developers

Re: [rare-dev] RARE/freeRtr for SWITCHDEV

  • From: Alexander Zubkov <>
  • To:
  • Cc: Frédéric LOUI <>, Alexander Gall <>
  • Subject: Re: [rare-dev] RARE/freeRtr for SWITCHDEV
  • Date: Mon, 1 May 2023 00:08:45 +0200

Oh, man! So much information. :) Sorry, but I didn't get context on some thing, could you try to be more verbose please.
I'll try to comment what I understood.

> now what interops do you suggest for the weekly runs?

What do you mean by that? What interoperability test I could suggest for your testcases with frr?

> https://github.com/rare-freertr/freeRtr/blob/master/changelog.txt#L12322

You mean there are no version, I can refer to this snapshot date as a version of freeRtr?

> much easier to read except the magics (?) like why it became unknown?.... :)

I think they don't just have the dissector for it yet. I've dumped some test session between Bird daemons with roles enabled, the structure of the capability is similar to your dump and I have "unknown" too.
I tried to look into Wireshark code, for example, and they have registered only capability ID there and have a comment refering to the draft version of the RFC. And no capability values are implemented yet. I was curious to implement it and sent the MR to them :)
https://gitlab.com/wireshark/wireshark/-/merge_requests/10485

Did you have some other problems with running role-enabled sessions?

> my google also failed me to find the mentioned pdf about the 'slides', an url would be nice from you, please....

What slides do you mean?

As for switchdev, I have no interest to force you implement its support. :) I just use it in our production on Mellanox switches and Frédéric knew that, so he asked if I can share my experience and reply some questions. Sure, at least on Mellanoxes, it doesn't have such a wide scope of capabilities as freeRtr, so it would fit your platform with serious limitation. We don't need MLPS, etc., so we are quite happy with switchdev.

> reason#3 - very poor asic support, i mean last time i checked the kernel, switchdev only had open source support for the legacy mellanox asics???

I think you've misunderstood something regarding support of Mellanox ASIC with switchdev. As far as I know it supports full range of their Spectrum-series chipset - from Spectrum 1 to Spectrum 4. And they actively develop the drvier for it inside the vanilla Linux kernel. I've checked, they have it stated on their wiki: https://github.com/Mellanox/mlxsw/wiki#mlxsw and we run some Spectrum 3 switches with this driver.