rare-dev - Re: [rare-dev] RARE/freeRtr for SWITCHDEV

Subject: Rare project developers

Re: [rare-dev] RARE/freeRtr for SWITCHDEV

  • From: mc36 <>
  • To: , Alexander Zubkov <>, Frédéric LOUI <>, Alexander Gall <>
  • Subject: Re: [rare-dev] RARE/freeRtr for SWITCHDEV
  • Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2023 04:23:08 +0200

well, and to stay ontopic... i personally lost most of my interest against
switchdev about a year ago...

here is what i have at the moment:

http://sources.freertr.org/misc/native/p4mnl_msg.h

hopefully @frederic introduced the server p4lang api (route4_add) (or you
attended the ripe.net meeting, @fl, a recording url here thx!)

reason#1 - very poor linux support against mpls, community-wide, and as i see
it's mostly as lack of understanding...

and time just makes it worse.... and it clearly hurts my feelings... to be
clear, we (rare team) only uses the kernel

as a pcap device so once a random bsd offers anything
-faster-/-bugfree-/-whatever metric-, we're happily migrating away! (alex, a
nix link here?)

so what we use is the pcap api without the ethertype takeaways present
nowehere else! (see rawint/pcapint/tapint in the same directory)

reason#2 - very poor emulation environment... linux and qemu only offers ipv4
and both seems abandonware...

so clearly nor ipv6 nor mpls again.... qemu calls it rocker device 4 your
reference, linux calls it switchdev that can program that...

(the HW offload emulator tester whatever, ip route with the magic H bit on
the routes freerouter calculates 4 that....:))

reason#3 - very poor asic support, i mean last time i checked the kernel,
switchdev only had open source support for the legacy mellanox asics???

so all in all, imho we're better off with something else... but change my
mind....

reason#4 - lack ot time/trust from frederic to allow me to play with the only
box he got some level of access...

thanks,

cs