rare-dev - [rare-dev] TWAMP as a latency meter (RTT, jitter, packet loss)

Subject: Rare project developers

[rare-dev] TWAMP as a latency meter (RTT, jitter, packet loss)

  • From: Gabriel Tetzner <>
  • To: , , Frédéric LOUI <>, mc36 <>
  • Cc: "Moises R. N. Ribeiro" <>
  • Subject: [rare-dev] TWAMP as a latency meter (RTT, jitter, packet loss)
  • Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2023 00:01:57 -0300

Hi all,

some time ago I sent you a question, how I could measure or benchmark important metrics for developing a machine learning or artificial intelligence algorithm.

I would do this by developing a sensor for prometheus to capture latency data, such as RTT, jitter and packet loss, or by using SNMP together with freeRouter.

I was unsure how I could do this and integrate with prometheus and grafana.
But Moises recommended using TWAMP for this and since we are using NMaaS for the monitoring service, I saw that they make perfsonar available as one of the monitoring agents/solutions.

I've been hitting this metrics measurement and link measurement with TWAMP within freeRouter for a long time, but I admit I have no idea how to get started or set this up.

I wanted some tips or an initial way, how I could capture these metrics (RTT, jitter and packet loss).

Att.