geteduroam - Re: getting started with geteduroam

Subject: An open discussion list for topics related to the geteduroam service

Re: getting started with geteduroam

  • From: Ralf Paffrath <paffrath AT dfn.de>
  • To: Gheorghiță Butnaru <gheorghita.butnaru AT staff.tuiasi.ro>
  • Cc: "Paul Dekkers (via geteduroam Mailing List)" <geteduroam AT lists.geant.org>
  • Subject: Re: getting started with geteduroam
  • Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2021 10:43:30 +0100

Hi,

> On 1 Mar 2021, at 15:00, Gheorghiță Butnaru (via geteduroam Mailing List)
> <geteduroam AT lists.geant.org> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> Recently we received access to CAT admin and did some testing with the
> eduroamCAT app.
> In the past few days, I saw some posts on the cat mailing list about the
> CAT update and the plan to migrate to the geteduroam app.
>
> Today I tested the app (android 8 and 10) with a profile downloaded from
> cat.eduroam.org. Everything worked fine compared to the eduroamCAT, which
> generate a certificate error on the radius server
> (https://lists.geant.org/sympa/arc/cat-users/2021-02/msg00015.html).
>
> Thanks to the fact that we didn't promote the CAT to our users, I want to
> start testing with the geteduroam project.
> Right now, I am interested in some guidance:
> - what do we need to do to be part of the list of institutions?
> - are there any news about hosted geteduroam solution within GÉANT?
> - we can try with a self-hosted geteduroam server, are there any directions
> for that?

We (DFN, NREN in Germany) are also interested in a self-hosted geteduroam
server. I have set up a test environment for a self-hosted geteduroam server.
It is not easy to set up all the needed stuff and apart of Let's Encrypt you
will need an aai idp too the profile are code signed.

We additionally want to check how difficult is to implement a certificate
management, like it already exists in eduVPN. I don’t know whether you know
eduVPN.
eduVPN server portal based on similar techniques and provides a really good
profile/certificate management where user and admins might mange their
profiles/certificates on different devices.

Greetings,
Ralf

--
Dipl. Inform. Ralf Paffrath
Phone: Tel.: 030 884299-0 (DFN-GS Berlin: Sekretariat)

Verein zur Förderung eines Deutschen Forschungsnetzes e.V.
Alexanderplatz 1, D - 10178 Berlin
Vorstand: Prof. Dr. Odej Kao (Vorsitzender) | Dr. Rainer Bockholt | Christian
Zens
Geschäftsführung: Dr. Christian Grimm | Jochem Pattloch
VR AG Charlottenburg 7729NZ | USt.-ID. DE 1366/23822