edugain-discuss - Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] Guest and open IdPs in eduGAIN?

edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org

Subject: An open discussion list for topics related to the eduGAIN interfederation service.

Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] Guest and open IdPs in eduGAIN?

  • From: Peter Brand <peter.brand AT univie.ac.at>
  • To: edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org
  • Subject: Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] Guest and open IdPs in eduGAIN?
  • Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 13:10:45 +0200

* Peter Brand <peter.brand AT univie.ac.at> [2022-05-16 09:09]:
> * Lukas Hämmerle <lukas.haemmerle AT switch.ch> [2022-05-16 08:48]:
> > What is eduGAIN's current official policy and best-practice in terms of
> > guest and open Identity Providers where just anyone can create an account?
>
> See the discussion from the thread "Test and Guest Identity Providers
> in eduGAIN" started by someone named Lukas Hämmerle back 2013 CE. ;)

Since some people asked about this off-list:
Please find the referenced thread attached to this email in MIME
format which is hopefully somewhat readable with most mail user
agents.

TL;DR: We removed everything from the eduGAIN policy that would have
prevented this; it's good to remind ourselfs of the differences
between authentication and authorisation/attributes; and finally some
IDPs are being run in a way that's indiscernable from such "open" IDPs
(by allowing guest registration and consequently authentication).
So SWITCH eduID should pose no new or additional threat to anything
and the long and hard way ahead of us to improve the state of affairs
is assurance, of course.

Best,
-peter