edugain-discuss - [eduGAIN-discuss] Guest and open IdPs in eduGAIN?

edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org

Subject: An open discussion list for topics related to the eduGAIN interfederation service.

[eduGAIN-discuss] Guest and open IdPs in eduGAIN?

  • From: Lukas Hämmerle <lukas.haemmerle AT switch.ch>
  • To: <edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org>
  • Subject: [eduGAIN-discuss] Guest and open IdPs in eduGAIN?
  • Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 08:48:08 +0200

Hello all

What is eduGAIN's current official policy and best-practice in terms of guest and open Identity Providers where just anyone can create an account?

I as far as I see, there is nothing directly mentioned in the constitution and declaration regarding this point. One relevant document in this matter is the registration practice statement that each federation writes (and changes) on its own.

The "Registration practice statement" of a federation declares which types of organisations are accepted in a federation. Assuming that a university or a federation operator itself would operate a guest IdP that allows just any user with a valid e-mail address to register an account, would this be ok? Or are there any limits on which attributes and values this IdP should/should not release?

I know that there exist at least one guest IdP in eduGAIN (that releases just a limited set of attributes) and that probably more exist. Still, I'm interested in some current official response and view on this topic.

The background of this question has to do with SWITCH edu-ID where we currently publish the university IdPs in eduGAIN but don't allow private identities (without university affiliation) to access eduGAIN services. There are library use cases where people (without university affiliation) need access to publisher resources (accessible via eduGAIN). Therefore, we are exploring the options how to allow access to these users.

Best Regards
Lukas

--
SWITCH