edugain-discuss - Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] MDS re-publishes schema-invalid metadata

edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org

Subject: An open discussion list for topics related to the eduGAIN interfederation service.

Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] MDS re-publishes schema-invalid metadata

  • From: Tomasz Wolniewicz <twoln AT umk.pl>
  • To: edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org
  • Subject: Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] MDS re-publishes schema-invalid metadata
  • Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2019 09:07:06 +0200

Hi Leif,

W dniu 24.09.2019 o 00:35, Leif Johansson pisze:
> I have to agree with Peter here. The issue isn't whats right but
> what works.
>
> Cheers Leif

Davide has already commented on that and I fully agree with him, but I
stared wondering about the reasons behind this definition change. I do
not consider myself an XML expert so I could be talking nonsense, still
I will take the risk.

Looking at the comments in xml.xsd the change for lang="" was probably
to implement the BCP http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/bcp/bcp47.txt so that
people could define a fall-back default value for the attribute when no
proper lang matching can be done. In eduGAIN we are essentially using
English language tag to serve this purpose, but one could argue that
using the empty lang for default would be a perfectly reasonable thing
to do. One could even thiink the the correct approach is to have people
update their fairly ancient schemas rather disallowing something that
has been in the standard for 15 years.

Tomasz

--
Tomasz Wolniewicz
twoln AT umk.pl http://www.home.umk.pl/~twoln

Uczelniane Centrum Informatyczne Information&Communication Technology Centre
Uniwersytet Mikolaja Kopernika Nicolaus Copernicus University,
pl. Rapackiego 1, Torun pl. Rapackiego 1, Torun, Poland
tel: +48-56-611-2750 tel kom.: +48-693-032-576