edugain-discuss - Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] MDS re-publishes schema-invalid metadata

edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org

Subject: An open discussion list for topics related to the eduGAIN interfederation service.

Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] MDS re-publishes schema-invalid metadata

  • From: Stefan Winter <stefan.winter AT restena.lu>
  • To: Nick Roy <nroy AT internet2.edu>, Peter Schober <peter.schober AT univie.ac.at>
  • Cc: "edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org" <edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org>
  • Subject: Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] MDS re-publishes schema-invalid metadata
  • Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2019 10:21:10 +0200

Hi,

> Looking at the timing of the specs, I have trouble having sympathy with
> Shibboleth here. XML 1.0 allowed empty lang tags from 2004 onwards.
> SAML2 was finalised in 2005. When writing an implementation of SAML2,
> there was never any time window where using an earlier XML spec was
> justified. I.e. a day one bug, which (unluckily) wasn't noticed early
> when the deployed base was small to non-existent.

It looks like I have to correct myself and this reveals a third option
(which is a bit dull and I hope it will not actually be considered, but
I do want to mention it).

Looking at the OASIS SAML 2.0 Core Specification, I read in the
introduction:

"SAML assertions and protocol messages are encoded in XML [XML] ..."

And the normative references section states:

"[XML] T. Bray, et al. Extensible Markup Language (XML) 1.0 (Second
Edition). World Wide Web Consortium, October 2000. See
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml";

So SAML 2.0 pinpointed the Second Edition, which is from 2000 (despite a
2004 one being available).

The third option is thus to consider Shibboleth as being the only
correct implementation, and demanding that all other implementations of
SAML which use a later edition of the XML Spec are all buggy and have to
revert to the Second Edition.

From which it would naturally follow that using an empty lang tag is not
allowed; it is and has always been codified like that in the SAML2 spec
by way of its hard reference to a specific edition of XML.

--
Stefan WINTER
Ingenieur de Recherche

Tel: +352 424409 1