edugain-discuss - Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] publishers

edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org

Subject: An open discussion list for topics related to the eduGAIN interfederation service.

Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] publishers

  • From: Peter Schober <peter.schober AT univie.ac.at>
  • To: edugain-discuss AT geant.net
  • Subject: Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] publishers
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2015 16:47:59 +0100

* Thomas Lenggenhager <lenggenhager AT switch.ch> [2015-01-19 16:31]:
> For these, not much changes with interfederation.
> http://iopscience.iop.org is one such example. The adapted the
> wording from 'UK Federation' to institutional login recently. The
> login button still reads 'Login via Shibboleth' :-(

Right, at
https://ticket.iop.org/inst_login?return=http%3A%2F%2Fiopscience.iop.org%2F
there is no categorization or grouping of IDPs into regions, countries
or federations.

Compare with Atypon's "Literatum", sadly one of the more popular
platforms, https://www.emeraldinsight.com/action/showLogin?uri=%2F
(sadly because they also don't support SAML2): On that page you'll
have to find and select "Shibboleth" again :( and from there you'll
find "Geographic Regions".
Some Austrian institutions are in "UK Higher Education" (those that
participate via eduGAIN), even though Emerald joined our federation
years ago and there used to be a selector for Austrian institutions.
(That probably broke, too, when they moved to "Literatum", just like
their SAML2 support we previously enjoyed.)

So what would we want the publisher to do here?
Asking them to rename "UK Higher Education" to something else is
likely to create confusion among UK institutions and librarians, and
it's unlikely we can come up with something that reflects the current
meaning "Mostly UK institutions but could be from any place in the
world, really".
Unless they (all publishers, really) give up on grouping by region,
country or federation we can't really ask them to rename the UK
federation to anything else, I guess.

Open to suggestions. Unless noone here intends to federate with
publishers via eduGAIN.
-peter