edugain-discuss - Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] publishers

edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org

Subject: An open discussion list for topics related to the eduGAIN interfederation service.

Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] publishers

  • From: Peter Schober <peter.schober AT univie.ac.at>
  • To: edugain-discuss AT geant.net
  • Subject: Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] publishers
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2015 12:48:45 +0100

* yamaji AT nii.ac.jp <yamaji AT nii.ac.jp> [2015-01-14 12:01]:
> > That may mean very little, though, as their discovery interfaces may
> > not be equipped to decouple location/country from federation feed or
> > provide for working discovery sidestepping the category.
>
> This discussion is a little bit difficult for me, therefore, I would
> like to focus on to the efficient keyrollover story.

Difficult why?

> > Does anyone else see the need/opportunity to educate those publishers
> > (or platform providers) on the merits of eduGAIN -- "One federation to
> > keyrollover them all"?
>
> I need this but has no idea which is better eduGAIN or RE:EP.
>
> In our case both may work if the publisher regists the metadata fetching
> endpoint in our federation registration system. In case of eduGAIN, the
> publisher have to work with at least one federation. However if the
> publisher choose RE:EP they can do it by themself. Although in both
> case we have to be careful how long they can insert multiple
> certificates while keyrollover.

Well, I did not consider REEP for a couple of reasons:

1. Those SPs /are/ already registered with at least one (several, more
likely) federation, and they /are/ already available in eduGAIN.
So registration and metadata distribution is a solved problem.
REEP does not add anything here.
2. Not a topic for the eduGAIN list but REEP isn't a production
service yet, AFAIK. The metadata signing key from REEP will change
and for a production service that we feel is suitable to be
recommended to (or even demanded from) publishers it would need
quite a bit of documentation and possibly other polishing.
3. I don't think REEP was designed/intended to replace registering and
re-distributing metadata via eduGAIN, but more for /other/ cases.
Either way, we as a community should agree on an approach when
talking to publishers (I'm using "publishers" as 'pars pro toto'
for "globally widely federated entities"). I wouldn't want to
educate them about eduGAIN and the next one tries to move them to
REEP.
4. REEP doesn't solve the problem of the publisher needing SAML
metadata for all its customers (feed reciprocity). I.e., the SP
would likely still need to pull metadata from all federations
individually.

But other than that I completely agree: REEP would solve my problem of
reduntant (and useless) re-registration of entities, at least when
someone republishes that metadata from REEP into eduGAIN (a case we
still haven't discussed in detail, IIRC).
Otherwise I /and everyone else/ would have to pull metadata from REEP,
when we already /have/ a shared pool to pull from -- the MDS.
-peter