cat-users - Re: [[cat-users]] geteduroam Android

Re: [[cat-users]] geteduroam Android

  • From: Lukas Wringer <Lukas.Wringer AT rz.uni-augsburg.de>
  • To: Jørn Åne de Jong <jornane.dejong AT surf.nl>, cat-users AT lists.geant.org
  • Subject: Re: [[cat-users]] geteduroam Android
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2022 17:36:06 +0200

Hi

Am Mittwoch, dem 15.06.2022 um 15:49 +0200 schrieb Jørn Åne de Jong:
> Android 10:
> The app will appear to work fine, but after completing you don't see
> eduroam in the Wi-Fi list, and when you want to connect to eduroam
> you
> have to go the notification panel.  Users won't understand this and
> assume the app is broke.

Just to make sure - with the "eduroam CAT" App? Never heard of it and
didn't experience it myself either. Every complaint of our users with
eduroam on android that can not be fixed by using the eduroam CAT App
correctly would have been directed to me. Also https://cat.eduroam.org/
links to "eduroam CAT" for Android 10, not geteduroam.

> Android 11:
> It will work on some versions, it will crash on some other versions.
> We can't do anything about this (except force Android 10 behaviour).

Yep, my OnePlus 6 has no Problem with eduroam CAT, our Samsung Devices
won't work. Both can connect with either standard "geteduroam" or beta
- but the first one messes up the device, the second one I can not
explain to our users.

> Android 12+:
> Everything will probably work fine, but we're awating beta tester
> results.

Sadly we have no device with 12 available.

> We cannot "Fix Android 11", as we cannot detect if the Android
> version
> running has received the fix.  Version numbers don't work, as some
> vendors do patch their Android, but have not included the Wi-Fi fix.

Ooooh so that is it - I thought that Google 'just' forces that (bad)
new API to be used if deployed via Google Play - which is why you can
not update because it would make everything worse for 8 - 10? (Not even
to fix issue 90 with the MIME-Types)

So the Problem is even bigger and not just API levels but a Systemlevel
bug, so there is actually not even a way, that could work across even
just Android 11?

*sigh* It looks like I have to write a guide on how to configure by
hand
- since the "Domain"-Field is now exposed via GUI (which was btw. the
main
reason for us using the App, not having a
subject_match/altsubject_match
configurabele) that could actually be the best solution for now.

And for 12+ I hope for the best. Looks like we need to invest in a
Fairphone
so that we can longer track Android Updates...

Greetings, Lukas

--
Lukas Wringer

Universität Augsburg