cat-users - Re: [[cat-users]] geteduroam Android

Re: [[cat-users]] geteduroam Android

  • From: Lukas Wringer <Lukas.Wringer AT rz.uni-augsburg.de>
  • To: Jørn Åne de Jong <jornane.dejong AT surf.nl>, cat-users AT lists.geant.org
  • Subject: Re: [[cat-users]] geteduroam Android
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2022 13:50:19 +0200

Hi,

your mail and the earlier one from Stefan Paetow explaind the current
state quite good - but still doesn't help me as a CAT user.

I know that 'geteduroam' was intended to deploy the profiles from the
PKI system with the same name. And supporting CAT Profiles was an later
addition.

For me as a CAT User I have an App that works with close to zero issues
for Android 4.7 to 10.

Stating with Android 11 thats becomes a mere lottery with later
versions it may completely fail. So _thats_ the scope that needs a fix
*by the CAT Project*. They decided that 'geteduroam' can do that.

But since that - because Google broke things, that can only be fixed by
breaking other stuff - that hasn't worked out. So for now 'geteduroam'
is stuck in an - for the mentioned use case - for end users unsuitable
state.

So to support the CAT use case of enabling Android 11 could be done by
either:

- Fix Android 11+ and drop support for older devices for both, limiting
the PKI-'geteduroam' use case (not really a good option)

- CAT decides to not use 'geteduroam' for Android 11+ and build a new
App (very unlikely)

- Mark the now live Version as legacy - because everything that can be
done would make it worse - and fork or create from scratch an app that
only support Android 11+ with API from issue 91 and so that it appears
in regular PlayStore and not as part of the beta program ("geteduroam
next" or whatever) -> *As I see it, that is the way*

Because fixing everything inside the same app is not possible the way
out is to not trying do the imposible and do nothing as a result - but
going a new route.

PS: Is https://github.com/geteduroam/mobile-app possibly that new App I
tried to describe? If yes, whats the current time cope?

Greetings, Lukas

--
Lukas Wringer

Universität Augsburg
Rechenzentrum
Service & Support
86135 Augsburg

Besucheradresse und Servicezeiten:
Universitätsstraße 8
Gebäude L2, Raum 2034
Montag bis Donnerstag von 9.00 bis 14.30 Uhr
Freitag von 9.00 bis 12.00 Uhr

Telefon 0821/598-2222
Telefax 0821/598-2010
Lukas.Wringer AT rz.uni-augsburg.de