cat-users - Re: [[cat-users]] CatInstaller University of Basel - no certs get installed

Re: [[cat-users]] CatInstaller University of Basel - no certs get installed

  • From: Tomasz Wolniewicz <twoln AT umk.pl>
  • To: cat-users AT lists.geant.org
  • Subject: Re: [[cat-users]] CatInstaller University of Basel - no certs get installed
  • Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2021 18:17:06 +0200
  • Dkim-filter: OpenDKIM Filter v2.11.0 outgoing.umk.pl 33FD4200FE

W dniu 06.10.2021 o 16:30, Martin Pauly pisze:
> Hi Tomasz,
>
> On 06.10.21 14:14, Tomasz Wolniewicz wrote:
>> The easiest way is just ta call it as python3 script_name. Takes a
>> lot less time than making it executable.
>
>> I believe we have dropped support for python2. If you call the script
>> with python2 then it will try o execute itself with python3 instead
>> and fail if it cannot find it. Therefore I do not understand the
>> issue here.
>
> hm, my not-so-old Ubuntu Mate 20.04 LTS has python 2.7 installed by
> default.
This is strange. Just installed exactly this version and there is no
python2 just 3. And I see the same on Ubuntu 18.04.
> I just realized from two recent support cases (both on the phone, no
> hands-on for me)
> that unexperienced Linux users quickly get confused about how to get
> the thing
> started at all. IMO this could be worth the additional hint.
>
>>> So if you happen to auth against a public CA, configuring things
>>> manually really is no big deal. IMO, the only glitch is to call the
>>> Outer Identity "Anonymous Identity", this is a bit misleading.
>>
>> Well, with a public CA, the server name becomes the crucial element
>> of security so that you do not trust just any server with the given
>> CA behind. And this is something that the GUI will not even let you
>> to add, I think.
> Sure server name is essential. And the GUI does let you configure the
> server name, both the NetworkManager and the Android GUI call it
> "Domain".
It does on Ubuntu 20.04 but not on 18.04 where there is n domain field
in the GUI.
> Which gives me the second part of the double naming glitch I forgot to
> mention in my previous post. Since both misleading names are the same
> in Android and NetworkManager dialogs, I assume a common source.
> I can investigate this when I have some time.
> (BTW: Modern Android except Samsung even requires the "Domain" to be
> filled in,
> accept any of the CAs known to the system, but not allow the dangerous
> "do not validate" any more).
Domain gets a new meaning in Hotspot 2.0 which is likely to cause some
additional mixup. Either way, I really think that having the user to
fill in these fields is way harder then typing a single command in the
terminal window.

> But this is about automatic installers, and the outcome of this thread
> for me is the wish for a hint, just before download, so users get some
> idea
> what to do with the file.

You realise that you can add your own messages that will be displayed
for your users? They can be defined for each profile and be either EAP
or device specific and you can display both, so an EAP-specific for all
your installers and then additional messages for certain devices.

Yours

Tomasz

--
Tomasz Wolniewicz
twoln AT umk.pl http://www.home.umk.pl/~twoln

Uniwersteckie Centrum Informatyczne Information&Communication Technology
Centre
Uniwersytet Mikolaja Kopernika Nicolaus Copernicus University,
pl. Rapackiego 1, Torun pl. Rapackiego 1, Torun, Poland
tel: +48-56-611-2750 tel kom.: +48-693-032-576