cat-users - Re: [[cat-users]] Question about an "onboarding" or "setup" SSID

Re: [[cat-users]] Question about an "onboarding" or "setup" SSID

  • From: Martin Pauly <pauly AT hrz.uni-marburg.de>
  • To: cat-users AT lists.geant.org
  • Subject: Re: [[cat-users]] Question about an "onboarding" or "setup" SSID
  • Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2021 09:20:46 +0200

Hi,

On 09.04.21 00:05, Vlad Mencl wrote:
I hoped AirDrop would work also over Bluetooth alone ... but haven't tested.
That's not the case?

ah, you want to leverage the fact that many e.g. Pad users have an iPhone
which _is_ already_ connected.
I know some users who started a mobile WiFi AP then. This workaround is good,
if you have it available.
But we sometimes have guests who bring an mobile which is adapted to the
Pacific or US mobile frequencies,
so it does not always work right from the start (and you may face pretty
expensive rates for world-wide
roaming). Having an onboarding network on you rcampus is almost always good.
And having a second way
around is better :-). So I just thought geteduroam might open up a way to
transfer a simple .eap-config
(more .mobileconfig, for that matter), and to import the settings into iOS after a
"simple" USB file transfer
without having to rely on Apple's MIME-Type magic. "Simple" is in quotes here
because with iOS,
USB file transfer isn't that simple, geteduroam would have to provide a
"compartment" to accommodate
the file to be transferred. But this could still be interesting as their main
goal is to foster EAP-TLS,
and AFAIU you should be able to import a client cert in the same way, along
with the settings file.
(Don't know if this would fit with the way their "Let's Wifi" scheme works,
though).

Cheers, Martin

--
Dr. Martin Pauly Phone: +49-6421-28-23527
HRZ Univ. Marburg Fax: +49-6421-28-26994