cat-users - [[cat-users]] Multiple CA - Android

[[cat-users]] Multiple CA - Android

  • From: Andrea Delise <delise AT sissa.it>
  • To: cat-users AT lists.geant.org
  • Subject: [[cat-users]] Multiple CA - Android
  • Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2020 08:35:18 +0100
  • Dkim-filter: OpenDKIM Filter v2.11.0 smtp.sissa.it BF2F51660

Hi everybody,

I'm Andrea Delise, one of the cat (and eduroam) administrators for SISSA, an Italian university. Since Terena has changed the certificate provider, we are working on the rollout of the new CA. We are on a fairly tight schedule, we didn't plan ahead to get the last certificate from the previuous CA.

According to the documentation:

https://wiki.geant.org/display/H2eduroam/A+guide+to+eduroam+CAT+for+IdP+administrators#AguidetoeduroamCATforIdPadministrators-Note3-CArolloversupport

for Android greater or equal to 7.1 everything should go fine. For all the other OS (or at least the ones I tested) it went fine.

However, from my quick tests, a device with a rather vanilla Android 9.0 (my own device, an Asus Zenfone Max Pro M1) was unable to authenticate with the new CA, accepting certificates only from the old CA. Due to the COVID restrictions and the lack of colleagues with testing devices, I wasn't able to perform more extensive tests (but a Xiaomi with Android 10 worked ok, while a Samsung with Android 10 showed the failed screen lock detection bug discussed in another conversation).

What's your experience? Did I get an "unlucky" device or is the Android version threshold different (7.1 or 10)?

Thank you and best regards,

Andrea Delise

Andrea Delise
tel: +39-040-3787537  e-mail: delise AT sissa.it
SISSA Information Technology and Computing Services http://www.itcs.sissa.it
via Bonomea 265 - I 34136 Trieste - Italy