cat-users - [[cat-users]] Installer integrity check has failed - fixed by editing profile but making no changes

[[cat-users]] Installer integrity check has failed - fixed by editing profile but making no changes

  • From: Robert Franklin <rcf34 AT cam.ac.uk>
  • To: "cat-users AT lists.geant.org" <cat-users AT lists.geant.org>
  • Subject: [[cat-users]] Installer integrity check has failed - fixed by editing profile but making no changes
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2019 15:16:44 +0100

Hello,

We had a problem with our Windows 7 installer, first reported on 16th July
(i.e. Tuesday) displaying an error dialog when run, stating:

Installer integrity check has failed. Common causes include
incomplete download and damaged media. Contact the
installer's author to obtain a new copy.

More information at:
http://nsis.sf.net/NSIS_Error

This error occurred each time it was downloaded and run, on multiple
different machines (including ones with only the built in Windows anti-virus
software, so I don't think any third party anti-virus software is to blame).

We didn't have this issue with our Windows 10 installer (although the error
will be displayed on Windows 10, if you mistakenly use the Windows 7
installer on it).

I found some emails from 23rd October 2017 saying this had happened in the
past which suggested a corrupt version may have been downloaded.

In our case, I went to the CAT page for the installer and edited the profile,
made no changes but then saved it. After doing this, the downloads all
succeed, on the same machines, with an installer that is 10kB larger (same as
the previous report). My suspicion is that a corrupt installer was created
and cached and editing the profile forced a rebuild - I don't think the
client machine was to blame as all the affected machines are now working.

I have a copy of the installer before and after it being fixed, if they're of
interest - the last broken one downloaded at 14:51 BST (GMT+01) today (19th
July - Friday) and the fixed one at 14:52. Are they of interest to
investigate this or is it just a spurious problem?

- Bob

--
Bob Franklin rcf34 AT cam.ac.uk / (+44 1223 7) 48479
Networks, University Information Services, University of Cambridge