cat-users - Re: [[cat-users]] security fix clear text password in linux script eduroam

Re: [[cat-users]] security fix clear text password in linux script eduroam

  • From: Stefan Winter <stefan.winter AT restena.lu>
  • To: "Rademaker,Hans J.G." <h.rademaker AT fontys.nl>, "cat-users AT lists.geant.org" <cat-users AT lists.geant.org>
  • Cc: "Visser,Ramon R.D." <r.visser AT fontys.nl>
  • Subject: Re: [[cat-users]] security fix clear text password in linux script eduroam
  • Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2017 08:16:29 +0100

Hi,

so if at all, we should be looking at wpa_cli if we want to do this.

Just one point on the manpage: it does get more specific further down,
and it /clearly/ goes in the wrong direction with that sentence:

"wpa_passphrase pre-computes PSK entries for network configuration
blocks of a wpa_supplicant.conf file. An ASCII passphrase and SSID are
used to generate a 256-bit PSK."

So, its input is a two-tuple of SSID and an arbitrary-length input, and
inflates it to the 256-bit input of the PSK network hashing function.

Normal passwords aren't dependent on an SSID, and I don't know from the
top of my head if the 256-bit PSK generated from WPA passphrases is
reversible to get the cleartext back. (Apparently it is, otherwise your
storing of a password with this method wouldn't work...)

So, if this works, it is much rather coincidental than working as designed.

It's fine if it works for you, but I wouldn't want to base a wider
implementation on it.

--
Stefan WINTER
Ingenieur de Recherche