cat-users - Re: [[cat-users]] security fix clear text password in linux script eduroam

Re: [[cat-users]] security fix clear text password in linux script eduroam

  • From: "Rademaker,Hans J.G." <h.rademaker AT fontys.nl>
  • To: Stefan Winter <stefan.winter AT restena.lu>, "cat-users AT lists.geant.org" <cat-users AT lists.geant.org>
  • Cc: "Visser,Ramon R.D." <r.visser AT fontys.nl>
  • Subject: Re: [[cat-users]] security fix clear text password in linux script eduroam
  • Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2017 21:14:04 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-GB, en-US

Hello Stefan,

The man page is a very short summary. And it does not say it's not suitable
for passwords either. It only seems to hash the authentication input, wether
it is a psk or password seems irrelevant to my logical reasoning, but hey
that's only me.

I am using it for some years now, at fontys. With eduroam, and before that
with our fontys essid, it's configured the same way as eduroam is.
But don't throw it out in the open on only my account, it still needs to be
tested at your end.

And looking at your man page I stumbeled over a familiar link:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/WPA_supplicant
and then at the end of the article starting from "Password-related problems"

There it is advised to use wpa_cli. So there is a more reliable method. I can
see if I can script something but probably not before february. I'll get
back to you if I have something.

And reading a bit further:

Ensure that your config uses
phase2="auth=MSCHAPV2"

Maybe have a look at line 381?

Met vriendelijke groet,
[fontys.png]<http://www.fontys.nl/>

Hans Rademaker • Dienst IT • Fontys Hogescholen
[linux.png]
Ik werk niet op vrijdag • 0885073070
Handleidingen en handige links:
Handleidingen<https://connect.fontys.nl/diensten/IT/handleidingen> •