cat-users - Re: [[cat-users]] security fix clear text password in linux script eduroam

Re: [[cat-users]] security fix clear text password in linux script eduroam

  • From: Stefan Winter <stefan.winter AT restena.lu>
  • To: "Visser,Ramon R.D." <r.visser AT fontys.nl>, "cat-users AT lists.geant.org" <cat-users AT lists.geant.org>
  • Cc: "Rademaker,Hans J.G." <h.rademaker AT fontys.nl>
  • Subject: Re: [[cat-users]] security fix clear text password in linux script eduroam
  • Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2017 16:46:07 +0100

Hi,

> A colleague of me has made an suggestion for an more secure Linux
> configuration in case the first option based with python script fails.
>

> I tried to translate his explanation: in case the first method fails the
> tools starts a second procedure with shell scripting.
>
> With this method the password is stored in plaintext in the
> wpa_supplicant config file. Users are informed about this during the
> installation.
>

> Following my colleague  there is an standard tool included in the
> wpa_supplicant suite which can hash the password in the component
> "wpa_passphrase".
>
> This has been added in rules 407 en 420  of the attachment.

This doesn't look correct to me: the manpage of wpa_passphrase speaks of
WPA2-PSK and not about user passwords:

man 8 wpa_passphrase:

wpa_passphrase - Generate a WPA PSK from an ASCII passphrase for a SSID

> Can this be helpful for the developers?

If it were assured that this function actually works with user
passwords, not PSKs, then maybe.

What makes you think so? Does this really *work*?

Stefan WINTER
Ingenieur de Recherche
de la Recherche
2, avenue de l'Université