cat-users - Re: [[cat-users]] security fix clear text password in linux script eduroam

Re: [[cat-users]] security fix clear text password in linux script eduroam

  • From: Tomasz Wolniewicz <twoln AT umk.pl>
  • To: cat-users AT lists.geant.org
  • Subject: Re: [[cat-users]] security fix clear text password in linux script eduroam
  • Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2017 18:26:38 +0100

Hi,

  I think that we should put the security approach into a proper
perspective. User's password can be recovered with the network manager
interface. The default behaviour of the user interface is to save the
password for all users, which results in saving it in plaintext in one
of the system files. I think that in general if your machine is
compromised then you really cannot assume that any of your saved
passwords are safe.

I do not think that the user-only readable file with plaintext password
is much less secure then other approaches.

Tomasz

--
Tomasz Wolniewicz

twoln AT umk.pl
http://www.home.umk.pl/~twoln

Uczelniane Centrum Informatyczne Information&Communication Technology Centre
Uniwersytet Mikolaja Kopernika Nicolaus Copernicus University,
pl. Rapackiego 1, Torun pl. Rapackiego 1, Torun, Poland
tel: +48-56-611-2750 fax: +48-56-622-1850 tel kom.: +48-693-032-576