cat-users - Re: [[cat-users]] Can't install "eduroam-W7-BNL.exe"

Re: [[cat-users]] Can't install "eduroam-W7-BNL.exe"

  • From: Stefan Winter <stefan.winter AT restena.lu>
  • To: Kin Yip <kinyip AT bnl.gov>, "cat-users AT lists.geant.org" <cat-users AT lists.geant.org>
  • Subject: Re: [[cat-users]] Can't install "eduroam-W7-BNL.exe"
  • Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2017 08:11:38 +0100

Hello,

> Now, suddenly, it works though I'm not sure why ?!
>
> It still didn't work after I brutally stopped the Trend Micro anti-virus
> executable from running. But suddenly, when I came to my Lab., now,
> clicking
> on the executable that I downloaded before suddenly works ! And going
> to cat.eduroam.org to download new executable would also work.
>
> Strangely, it didn't work yesterday when I tried to install
> eduroam-W7-BNL.exe at my Lab. and also tried to install it at home this
> morning. All efforts have failed.
>
> But suddenly, I can install it (eduroam-W7-BNL.exe) now, even the
> Trend-Micro (and others) anti-virus software are all running. Very
> strange ! ( It's like that
> there is a timestamp for that executable to start working or anything
> like that ??? ... )

Well, the executable has an EV Code Signing Signature on it which makes
Windows consider the installer more trusted than unsigned software, and
that signature naturally comes with a timestamp.

The time keeping on our server for signature generation looks correct;
so maybe your local time on the Windows 7 machine is "way off"?

This could indeed explain why the executable doesn't get very far on
your machine. And the remedy is ... keep your clock halfways accurate :-)

--
Stefan WINTER
Ingenieur de Recherche

Tel: +352 424409 1