cat-users - Re: [[cat-users]] eduroam CAT

Re: [[cat-users]] eduroam CAT

  • From: Stefan Winter <stefan.winter AT restena.lu>
  • To: cat-users AT lists.geant.org, r.visser AT fontys.nl
  • Subject: Re: [[cat-users]] eduroam CAT
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2017 08:40:55 +0100

Hello,

thanks for the kind words!

> During the POC we only discovered two issues.
>
> *1. **antivirus related. *
>
> Customers with F-Secure antivirus client experience application block
> popups on their Windows 7, 8.1 and 10 devices:
>

> Application was blocked. This was determined to be a high-risk
> application by system control heuristics.
>
> Application path:
> \\?\c:\users\877590\appdata\local\microsoft\windows\temporary
> <file:///\\%3f\c:\users\877590\appdata\local\microsoft\windows\temporary>
> internet
> files\content.ie5\n54da4ra\*eduroam-w10-fh-uc.exe *
>
> File hash: 3b6cad0f6a27786e0623047caf28d932438c9431
>

> When we upload the file to Virustotal we see some other AV apps having
> the same result:
>
> Windows 7:
> https://www.virustotal.com/nl/file/12c312f680ff42fe35949ae2376f460302c02f884e99c85223ab52c5f272bc5d/analysis/1485186199/
>
> Windows 8:
> https://www.virustotal.com/nl/file/aa5407be6509e134b4ed9042e7ad6639bf20e4de9e7a3d09db60ebf0ed27b962/analysis/1485185921/
>
> Windows 10:
> https://www.virustotal.com/nl/file/ede9c6b1a33490c0d75bede2c88ff9ecdb3dfaefc51e0c623287719dae497479/analysis/

All three results show that only exactly one AV engine takes offence,
and it's a Chinese niche product that is not at all commonly used in
other countries.

We occasionally also get "real" ;-) AV engine hits but these are all
based on heuristics. It so happens that our code modifies security
parameters and AV engines generally do not like that (except of course
if they are doing it themselves). Many AV vendors react positively when
nudging them about their heuristics being wrong and we get white-listed.

We never received a reply from Qihoo-360.

Also for F-Secure I'm surprised, because the VirusTotal result for
F-Secure is actually a checkmark.

Are you sure the Virus scanner in question is up-to-date with its
signatures etc.?

> 2. *Windows 10 Mobile support*. Any news concerning this platform
> when it will be supported?

It's not a question of "when" but "if"; and then the answer is "No" :-)

For all practical considerations, Windows 10 Mobile is a dead platform.
It's market share is so negligible - and declining further - that
development work on our side for it is not justified.

If you prefer a more diplomatic answer, I can also write "As soon as
someone cares to write the code. Patches welcome!".

> User receive now the android 6 installer instead of a platform not
> supported link

That is of course a different story - that's a bug in the OS detection
then! Thanks for notifying us; we'll work on fixing that.

Stefan WINTER
Ingenieur de Recherche
de la Recherche
2, avenue de l'Université